Way to recover saved IE sessions if IE is not opening?

General discussion

• On Windows Developer Preview, I had lots of tabs open in multiple browsers (IE10, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and then closed the browsers, saving the session in each of them. For some reason, the user profile got corrupted and I had to create a new user account and profile to login to Windows successfully. I copied the contents of my old user profile folder to the new user profile folder except of course Ntuser.* as KB811151 instructs. Using this way I could recover the saved browsing sessions in Chrome, Safari and Firefox and per-user settings in all installed programs. But IE's sessions were lost.

Where or how are IE sessions stored and is there a way to recover them when the original user profile cannot be accessed or IE is not opening for a corrupted user profile?

Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:56 AM

All replies

• Where or how are IE sessions stored and is there a way to recover them when the original user profile cannot be accessed or IE is not opening for a corrupted user profile?

Assuming they are in the registry would you recognize them if you could search for them and find them?   If so, then you could do a Load Hive without having to know where they normally go.   Otherwise I would use ProcMon to find out where they go, and then use Load Hive to see if they are there.    ; )

So, I will use ProcMon to trace a use of  About:Tabs  to  Reopen Last Browsing Session...

Oh.  Bad guess apparently.  (FWIW I hadn't looked at this before.)  It seems the implementation for it is all somehow in:   %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery

Who knew?   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 4, 2011 5:16 PM