Navigation in Report Builder 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two chart reports zone wise and location wise.There are many locations in a specific zone what I want is when the user clicks on the zone report

the report should immediately switch to location wise report containing the locations of that particular zone.How can I achieve this in report builder2.0?

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks and Regards, Franco Lopes. Ask a Question and you are fool for a second but if don't ask a question you are fool forever.
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Franco,

Yes this is possible, You need to create a parameter for 'Zone No' in report2 - "location wise report". By using the 'Navigation' options you need to set the Jump to report property to  "location wise report" from report 1. The report2 query will execute based on the value passed from report1
    steps to be followed:
    1. Design the report1 ,report2 and save in the report manager (without implementing the  Navigation actions ).
    2. reopen the report 1 and set the Navigation properties along with the parameters, Save to Report Manager
    3. The main difference is we can see the preview after deploying the report to the Report Manager.
    Thus your requirement is implemented.
    Thanks
    M.Mahendra

M.Mahendra
    • Marked as answer by Franco Lopes Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:31 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Hi Mahendra,

Thank you for your reply.I tried doing that in the report Builder2.0 initilally but didnt work.It gave me the following error:An Attempt was made to set a reportparameter zone that is not defined on this report.[rsUnknownReportParameter] .Though I had created the parameter zone on the locationwise report.But when I tried making the same report  in the SSRS 2008 BI it worked!!!!(hurray :D).I again cross checked by making the report in RB 2.0 but the error still remained.I think there is  some problem with RB 2.0 with passing parameters to the subreport.So I had to develop the reports in BI 2008 and deploy them to the report server and deleted my RB2.0 reports Anyway I have created my solution using BI 2008 but my client will be using RB 2.0 so is there any solution for this problem? If yes then please let me know.Thanks again.

Thanks and Regards, Franco Lopes. Ask a Question and you are fool for a second but if don't ask a question you are fool forever.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:22 AM

All replies

• You can use a report action to navigate to the target report when a user clicks a textbox or other report item.  This is known as a drill-through report.  These links will get oyu started.  You will find a detailed walk-through in the Wrox Press book: Professional SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159847.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159701(v=SQL.105).aspx

Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.Let me elaborate more on the problem.The zone wise pie-chart report has already an action defined to switch over to location wise report, what I want is that when clicked on the zone wise pie-chart which shows sectors namely (900,901 and 902 as zones). on a particular sector of zone say 900 then the 900 should be passed on to the location wise report and all the relative location of zone 900 should be shown.How can I achieve this in report Builder 2.0?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hi Franco,

Yes this is possible, You need to create a parameter for 'Zone No' in report2 - "location wise report". By using the 'Navigation' options you need to set the Jump to report property to  "location wise report" from report 1. The report2 query will execute based on the value passed from report1
    steps to be followed:
    1. Design the report1 ,report2 and save in the report manager (without implementing the  Navigation actions ).
    2. reopen the report 1 and set the Navigation properties along with the parameters, Save to Report Manager
    3. The main difference is we can see the preview after deploying the report to the Report Manager.
    Thus your requirement is implemented.
    Thanks
    M.Mahendra

M.Mahendra
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Hi Mahendra,

Thank you for your reply.I tried doing that in the report Builder2.0 initilally but didnt work.It gave me the following error:An Attempt was made to set a reportparameter zone that is not defined on this report.[rsUnknownReportParameter] .Though I had created the parameter zone on the locationwise report.But when I tried making the same report  in the SSRS 2008 BI it worked!!!!(hurray :D).I again cross checked by making the report in RB 2.0 but the error still remained.I think there is  some problem with RB 2.0 with passing parameters to the subreport.So I had to develop the reports in BI 2008 and deploy them to the report server and deleted my RB2.0 reports Anyway I have created my solution using BI 2008 but my client will be using RB 2.0 so is there any solution for this problem? If yes then please let me know.Thanks again.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:22 AM