Change temperature units in weather app

Question

• Under "Region" in control panel I've got it set to English (United Kingdom). The "Additional Settings" section is indicates that units are in metric.

However, the weather app insists on showing the temperature in fahrenheit, rather than celcius. I can't find any way to change it. Having always working in celcius, fahrenheit values have little meaning to me, other than "surely it can't be THAT hot?"

Also, while we're at it - is there any way to change the background video being used. The initial location had a nice cloud video. I've now got a (admittedly pretty) beach view, which seems a little out of place with my location.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:06:04 +0000, Paul Milliken wrote:

However, the weather app insists on showing the temperature in fahrenheit, rather than celcius. I can't find any way to change it. Having always working in celcius, fahrenheit values have little meaning to me, other than "surely it can't be THAT hot?"Also, while we're at it - is there any way to change the background video being used. The initial location had a nice cloud video. I've now got a (admittedly pretty) beach view, which seems a little out of place with my location.

Open the Weather app and then move your cursor to the bottom left of the
    screen. Click Settings, then click Weather preferences. No idea about the
    background animation.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.

• Marked as answer by Paul Milliken Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• When weather application is opened place the mouse in the lower left corner and choose settings and go to weather preferences.
    ZGuideTV.NET project Admin/Dev : http://zguidetv.codeplex.com/
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:23 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:06:04 +0000, Paul Milliken wrote:

However, the weather app insists on showing the temperature in fahrenheit, rather than celcius. I can't find any way to change it. Having always working in celcius, fahrenheit values have little meaning to me, other than "surely it can't be THAT hot?"Also, while we're at it - is there any way to change the background video being used. The initial location had a nice cloud video. I've now got a (admittedly pretty) beach view, which seems a little out of place with my location.

Open the Weather app and then move your cursor to the bottom left of the
    screen. Click Settings, then click Weather preferences. No idea about the
    background animation.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.

• Marked as answer by Paul Milliken Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:24 PM
    Also, while we're at it - is there any way to change the background video being used. The initial location had a nice cloud video. I've now got a (admittedly pretty) beach view, which seems a little out of place with my location.

Hey, Paul! Hey, guys!

The app's background isn't related to your location. I mean, don't expect to see a mountain background if you live in such an area. A script will play a different video for different weather conditions according to the "skycode".

You can find the background videos for the Weather app in

"%ProgramFiles%\Applications\microsoft.weather_1.0.0.26_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe\video" folder.

This is where 10 specific ".mp4" files for "day cloudy", "day sunny", "fog", "lightning", "night clear", "night cloudy", "rain heavy", "rain light", "snow" and "windy" are stored.

Now, to answer your question, yes, you can change the background video being used, either by editing the script, or simply replace the other 9 videos with copies of "day cloudy", this being the one you seem to like. :)

Of course, in this case, you'll always get the "day cloudy" backgroud no matter day or night, snow or windy.

Yeah, probably better to leave it this way... ;)

Cheers!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:20 PM