How to find all the addresses within a polygon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the most efficient way to find all the addresses within a given polygon or selected area on the map..

thanks!
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:12 PM

Answers

• This is not really possible using any publicly-available system that I know of. It's easy to draw a polygon in Virtual Earth and use that to query rows of data from your own database, but unless you've already pre-populated that database with details of every residential location in the area in which you're planning to search then it won't have anything to return.
    'Range searches' for reverse-geocodes are not generally available - it's an exact hit for a given latitude/longitiude (or, at least, the closest match).
    Beginning Spatial with SQL Server http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430218290
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• Please clarify, are the addresses stored in a database or do you want to reverse geocode all the coordinates within the polygon?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:51 PM
  • hi,

thanks for responding.. would like to reverse geocode all available residential locations within the polygon.. do not have it in a db..

thanks!
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, but I can't imagine how you will do this. Will be interesting to see if you get any responses. You might want to consider either a real GIS system meant for spatial analysis  (ex. ESRI) or, if the area you are interested in is small, creating a database of addresses from a publicly available source; if you use SQL Server 2008 then it will be free and you can easily query the addresses within a polygonal boundary. I am assuming the polygon can be any shape right?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:34 PM
  • This is not really possible using any publicly-available system that I know of. It's easy to draw a polygon in Virtual Earth and use that to query rows of data from your own database, but unless you've already pre-populated that database with details of every residential location in the area in which you're planning to search then it won't have anything to return.
    'Range searches' for reverse-geocodes are not generally available - it's an exact hit for a given latitude/longitiude (or, at least, the closest match).
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:55 PM
  • as polygon can be any shape.. but we can restrict it to a square.. thank you for your  response.. appreciate it..

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:03 PM
  • hi,  Tanoshimi

thank you for your response.. any other ideas/suggestions ?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:04 PM
  • The only difference between square and any random shape is the database query; if its a square you can get away with comparing lat/longs of the addresses with the lat/longs of the box boundary; if its a randomly shaped polygon than it would need much more sophisticated methods. Is a database of locations out of the question? I think that is the only way to accomplish your task. Are you talking about a large area of the world? If not, at the county level they often have publicly available shapefiles (this is an ESRI format that can be converted using a tool) of properties. Another option is to look and see if this type of data is available for purchase and then create your database from that. Another possible option is to check out ESRI and see if they have a method like this: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/index.html
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Perhaps you could give us a bit more background as to what you actually want to achieve with your application, and then maybe we could suggest alternatives.

Can you explain, in simple terms, what you want the application to do? Particularly, we don't yet know the following:
     - Why do you want to identify residential properties in a given area?
     - What information do you want to know about those properties (just their address? The number of people that live there? What party they voted for in the last election?)
     - Do you only want residential addresses, or businesses too?
     - What area of the world do you want to use?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:27 PM
  • ..hmm.. very good point on square vs random..  let me check out ESRI. initial target area is US & Canada only.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:06 PM
  • ..hope this helps..

- Why do you want to identify residential properties in a given area? - [To group addresses within a given polygon selected by user]
     - What information do you want to know about those properties (just their address? The number of people that live there? What party they voted for in the last election?) - [Just address & name]
     - Do you only want residential addresses, or businesses too? [Residential only]
     - What area of the world do you want to use? [USA & Canada]

thanks!

ps. i did get a copy of your book yesterday :)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:11 PM
  • You can also look at MapInfo http://www.pbinsight.com/products/location-intelligence/

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:46 PM
  • thanks!.. let me check it out
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:13 PM