Atlas Installation error RRS feed

• Question

• User1774024068 posted

Hi,

Please help me to sort the installation error in atlas.

While installing I get following error...

A problem occurred while running the installer. Please contact content author for problems with the content.

Error Message:

String cannot have a zero length.

I have tried to search in the forum for the above problem but of no use.

I tried opening the AtlasASPNET.vsi file with Visual Studio content installer.. but of still the same error message.

Tried changing the file extension to .ZIP but I get the "Corrupted file" Message.

Tried opening the file with windows explorer but of no use...

Feeling confused whether to use Atlas in my next application or not...[8-)]

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Manoj Aggarwal.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:34 PM

All replies

• User1625204979 posted

Can you try following the steps in my last reply in this post http://forums.asp.net/thread/1243562.aspx?

Anyway, I copy the steps here again:
    - Double click the ASPNETAtlas.vsi file to launch the Visual Studio Content Installer dialog.
    - Find the link above the Publish information area, it is called "View files in Windows Explorer..."
    - Click on it to open the content of the vsi in Window Explorer
    - If you have Visual C# installed, copy ASPNETAtlasWebApplicationCS.zip to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<your user id>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\CSharp\
    - Respectively, if you have Visual Basic installed, copy ASPNETAtlasWebApplicationVB.zip to C:\Documents and Settings\<your user id>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\VisualBasic\
    - Open a new VS 2005, do File->New->Web Site, you should see the Atlas Web Site template under "My Templates" when you choose Language Visual C# or Visual Basic

If you are still having the problem, please let me know at which step you are stuck.

Friday, March 31, 2006 3:08 AM
  • User1774024068 posted

I had already tried the above things but my problem is that I  am not able to open ASPNETAtlas.vsi file. Whenever I try to explore the file using VS Content Installer it shows the same errror that I get while installing the Atlassetup.msi.

Is it possible for you to pls attach or provide me a link to download ASPNETAtlasWebApplicationCS.zip and ASPNETAtlasWebApplicationVB.zip

files so that I can straightaway put them into respective folders.

I am using March CTP edition of setup and Visual Studio 2005 Professional Trial Pack. I want to know that if Microsoft is doing something to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Saturday, April 1, 2006 3:47 AM
  • User1625204979 posted

We will investigate if the setup can run on VS 2005 trial version.

In the meanwhile, if you want to build website using Atlas, can you install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and try Atlas setup again?

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition can be downloaded and installed here.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 2:52 PM
  • User430452567 posted

I am facing the same problem. (April CTP)

Both with ASPNetAtlas.vsi and AtlasControlExtender.vsi.

So it does not seem to be a problem with the packages, but rather my installation; but since the error message does not tell me what string is of zero length, I don't know where to look.

I am using Visual Studio Team Edition for Developers, version RTM.0500727-4200, no trial.

I had previous version of Atlas and Web developer express installed, but have uninstalled these.

Any help / pointers appretiated.

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:40 AM
  • User1625204979 posted

Did you install any Visual Studio beta versions or trial versions on this machine (and later uninstall them) ?

We are currently investigating this issue and would like to collect more info in order to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
    Frank

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:32 PM
  • User430452567 posted

First; I have just done a reinstall / update of VS2005, and now it works!

Some info about my environment

• Never any beta or trial versions of VS on this machine.
    • Web developer express, c# express and sql express was on this machine, was uninstalled after VS2005 was installed.
    • DevExpress refactoring for VB, which have been updated once.
    • Installed and uninstalled the different versions of WAP and WDP, currently running the latest versions.
    Friday, April 14, 2006 2:10 PM
  • User1625204979 posted

Hi folks, I found a potential issue that might be the cause of the problem you guys are seeing

Please go to the following registry key and check if you have the values as below:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSEnvCommunityContent\ContentTypes\VSTemplate]
    "ClassName"="VSContentInstaller.VSTemplateInstallerPage"
    "DisplayName"="#VSTemplateContentDisplayName"

If they are missing, please add the values and launch the ASPNETAtlas.vsi file again, and see if it is working for you now.  Please do reply to let us know if it does fix the issue so we know this is the real cause.

Friday, April 14, 2006 3:38 PM
  • User1774024068 posted

This was gr8. At last I was able to install Atlas Framework in my system.

Good work buddy.

When will we get complete setup with bug fixed.

Regarding the installation of Visual Studio web developer edition, Yes I installed it before and then uninstalled.  Later I installed VS2005 Professional Trial Pack.

Thanks for support,

[:)] Manoj

Friday, April 14, 2006 4:37 PM
  • User1625204979 posted

Great to hear that it works for you.

It is an issue of missing registry info when the VSI installer is set up, so it is unrelated to Atlas installation package.  With the registry values in place you should not encounter the same error in the future.  I have relayed the info to VSI folks for further investigation and see if it is some setup issue on their end.  I will post more info if there are any updates.

Friday, April 14, 2006 5:41 PM
  • User-1391878767 posted

Hi folks, I found a potential issue that might be the cause of the problem you guys are seeing

Please go to the following registry key and check if you have the values as below:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSEnvCommunityContent\ContentTypes\VSTemplate]
    "ClassName"="VSContentInstaller.VSTemplateInstallerPage"
    "DisplayName"="#VSTemplateContentDisplayName"

If they are missing, please add the values and launch the ASPNETAtlas.vsi file again, and see if it is working for you now.  Please do reply to let us know if it does fix the issue so we know this is the real cause.

Woohoo!  This did the trick for me. Thank you! Finally I can install VSI packages.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:24 PM