locked
No log results if any filter applied against User Agent RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-505261951 posted

    I am trying to filter out 'ping' requests from our load balancers and whenever I add a filter against the User Agent field I just end up with no results at all.

    I am using the UI to create these.

    First, I created a filter for ( 'User Agent' notequals 'Load Balancer Agent' ) -> nothing
    Then I changed it to ( 'User Agent' equals 'Load Balancer Agent' ) -> still nothing
    Then I changed it to ( 'User Agent' equals '.*' ) -> still nothing
    Then I changed it to ( 'User Agent' notequals '.*' ) -> still nothing

    That's basically every possible combination and any kind of filter against User Agent yields nothing being logged.  I can only assume this is broken.

    Has anyone ever been able to make this work?  Is there some global switch somewhere I need to throw? 
    Can anyone shed any light on what's the issue?

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:22 AM

All replies

  • User-505261951 posted

    UPDATE:  Filtering seems to be pretty patchy at the best of times.  I was able to filter on URI-Stem but it filtered a lot of requests it shouldn't have.

    I'm starting to think 'Advanced Logging' is a misnomer.

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:26 AM
  • User-505261951 posted

    ANOTHER UPDATE:  Some careful testing (with filtering off) shows that there are two entries written for every request when the request is for a default document, one for the main path and one containing the default document (that was never actually requested by the client at all).

    And on that note I'll be uninstalling this module.

    Advanced logging indeed.  Frown

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:33 AM