Can the Office Web add-in cover all the features of VSTO right now? RRS feed

• Question

• I know Office Web add-in is new technology for developing add-in on office. 

I wonder to know if it could cover all the features of VSTO.  Are there something VSTO can do,but Web add-in can't .

Monday, August 3, 2020 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hello Will,

In short - a lot!

Let's start from the fact that Web add-ins work only in the Exchange environment, so if you have SMTP or IMAP accounts configured in Outlook you will not be able to use web add-ins. VSTO is the only option for this scenario.

In general, web add-ins are still very limited in their functionality and work in the context of a single item. I see a lot of suggestions on forums that a particular feature is not supported and you should post your suggestion on the https://officespdev.uservoice.com/ platform.

Well, it depends on your needs - if you need to support multiple platforms like MacOS and etc., you may be interested in implementing a basic functionality which is possible with web add-ins and have a well-suited VSTO add-ins for Windows desktops.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, August 3, 2020 8:14 AM