Convention of declaring float as a whole number RRS feed

• Question

• Which is better according to programming conventions

float var1= 1f

float var2 =1;

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:19 AM

Answers

• In both cases the C# compiler generate the same IL code but strictly speaking the variant with f suffix is "more correct".

This is because 1, without f suffix, denotes an integer constant. Assigning an integer to a float variable requires a cast and a dumb compiler may very well insert such a cast which leads to larger and slower code.

@Viral Jain: You can't possible use "float var = 1.0;". That doesn't compile, 1.0 has type double, not float.

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:01 AM

All replies

• I use float var = 1.0;

Viral.

MCTS - WPF, WinForms, Sql Server 2008

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:29 AM
  • In both cases the C# compiler generate the same IL code but strictly speaking the variant with f suffix is "more correct".

This is because 1, without f suffix, denotes an integer constant. Assigning an integer to a float variable requires a cast and a dumb compiler may very well insert such a cast which leads to larger and slower code.

@Viral Jain: You can't possible use "float var = 1.0;". That doesn't compile, 1.0 has type double, not float.

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:01 AM
  • I use float var = 1.0;

Why would you assign a double to a float like that? You want a compile error?

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Watch out assigning ints to floats, especially if you convert them back to ints.

For example, look at the following code. What do you think it will print out?

float f = int.MaxValue;
    Console.WriteLine(f);

int i1 = (int) f;
    Console.WriteLine(i1);

int i2 = Convert.ToInt32(f);
    Console.WriteLine(i2);

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:35 AM
  • I think

float var1 = 1f

because of : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b1e65aza%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

Please mark as reply if helped.
    Also visit my blog http://msguy.net/

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:02 PM

Mike is absolutely right. Here is the IL (VS2010) just in case you may want to see...

.method private hidebysig static void  Main(string[] args) cil managed
    {
      .entrypoint
      // Code size       8 (0x8)
      .maxstack  1
      .locals init ([0] float32 a)
      IL_0000:  nop
      IL_0001:  ldc.r4     1.
      IL_0006:  stloc.0
      IL_0007:  ret
    } // end of method Program::Main

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Assigning an integer to a float variable requires a cast and a dumb compiler may very well insert such a cast which leads to larger and slower code.

Such a compiler would disobey the C# specification. Constant expressions must be evaluated at compile-time.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:17 PM