SQL Studio Manager Views RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I have 2 clints pc`s where i have installed SQL Studio Manager 2008. The to clints have to connect to a special Database on my SQL server 2008, to create and delete tabels,views, and import data.

On the Clints properties off the SQL studio manager settings, i have setup that they only should connect to a specified databse on a specifies SQL server. The problem is that when these to users connect they can see all the databases that resides on this SQL server.

I want to have these to users to only see that databse i have specifies in the SQL studio manager connect setting, and not see all the databases n the SQL server. Is there a way to restict the studio manager viws to only one database. These to usrs cannot chose properties on the others databases, but they can see them.

Any ideas on how to limit these two users vies to only one database in SQL studio manager 2008

thanks in advance
    Peter

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:13 PM

Answers

• I want to have these to users to only see that databse i have specifies in the SQL studio manager connect setting, and not see all the databases n the SQL server. Is there a way to restict the studio manager viws to only one database. These to usrs cannot chose properties on the others databases, but they can see them.

Any ideas on how to limit these two users vies to only one database in SQL studio manager 2008

Hello Peter,

That's "by design" that everyone with a valid login can see all database, even those where the user don't have permissions for, see VIEW ANY DATABASE. There is not really a way to restrict the list of databases the user can see.

You could only DENY the VIEW ANY DATABASE permission for that 2 users, but then they can't "see" any database, but of course they still can connect to those db where they have permissions for.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:13 PM