What can XNA be used for? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, i was just wondering if XNA is for homebrew games only, or can it be used for other software such as operating systems, emulators, internet browsers etc? For example, could it be used to port linux over to the 360? Cheers!
    Tuesday, October 24, 2006 1:15 PM

Answers

•  wargasm wrote:
    Hey, i was just wondering if XNA is for homebrew games only, or can it be used for other software such as operating systems, emulators, internet browsers etc? For example, could it be used to port linux over to the 360? Cheers!
    '

(Moved to XNA Game Studio Express Forum)

You can use it to build games.  You will not have access directly to the underlying hardware, except through the XNA Framework API.

You will definitely not be able to write new operating systems, nor stuff the penguin in your Xbox.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:32 PM

All replies

•  wargasm wrote:
    Hey, i was just wondering if XNA is for homebrew games only, or can it be used for other software such as operating systems, emulators, internet browsers etc? For example, could it be used to port linux over to the 360? Cheers!
    '

(Moved to XNA Game Studio Express Forum)

You can use it to build games.  You will not have access directly to the underlying hardware, except through the XNA Framework API.

You will definitely not be able to write new operating systems, nor stuff the penguin in your Xbox.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:32 PM
  • Did you even try reading the FAQ?
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:53 AM
  • Which is here BTW.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:18 PM