About Garbage Collection Technique RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening!

As i posted in previous post about disabling GC and found that it is impossible to disable it. Later i extend my post and found SSCLI 2.0. It provide complete implementation of CLR, where GC resides. I successfully download, install, configure and run it.

Now what i want is that implement some GC technique start from reference counting, cyclic reference counting , mark and sweep etc. 

It is just for Educational purpose to see actual behavior of such methods.

Please provide me help to do it. Any method to implement it is welcome.

Thanks

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• "Profiling the code" means, dynamic program analysis. It is not static code analysis. By profiling you could get the behaviour of various constructs of  your code. Like how much memory is allocated, when, and by which objects, what kind of CPU is consumed, how much time is consumed by which methods etc.
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Monday, June 6, 2011 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:18 AM

All replies

• Ashutosh, you already have the source code, so you could always profile the code and see through the working and analyze the same.

If you are looking at rewriting some of the mechanism for yourself, you could refer to the various documented constructs of the garbage collection at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee787088.aspx and choose to write whatever you wish you.

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Thanks for reply dude,

What mean by "profile the code"?

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:43 PM
  • "Profiling the code" means, dynamic program analysis. It is not static code analysis. By profiling you could get the behaviour of various constructs of  your code. Like how much memory is allocated, when, and by which objects, what kind of CPU is consumed, how much time is consumed by which methods etc.
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Monday, June 6, 2011 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:18 AM