Using workspaces to get project dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have several team projects on TFS. Some are depending on others, for example one team project creates say for example a framework. This framework will be used as codebase for other projects.

Now what I would like to do is using workspaces to copy all required dlls of the framework team project to the build folder (bin/debug, bin/release) of  the project that depends on them. I could write for example a batch file that sets up this workspace and automatically gets all source files and the dependencies (the framework I mentioned) on a local machine of a developer. So my idea is that the developer simply executes this batch file and automatically gets the latest version of all files. He can then easily compile his project because all dependencies are already in the build folder. After this is done the batch file can delete the workspace because it is not needed anymore.

Now the following question arises: Is the workspace REALLY deleted? I know that there will be database entries left when you delete a team project or folder. Now what I don't want is a database entry that is created whenever the batch file creates and deletes the workspace. Because this is done so often it would not be good approach I guess...
    I welcome any comments. Is this a good approach? If not how are dependencies handled in TFS?

Regards,

ACKH

Friday, February 9, 2007 4:33 PM

Answers

• Yes, workspace deletions are permanent.

My opinion is that developers should build all requirements from source, especially if they change frequently.  I would only have a build process use checked-in binaries when they represent a stable release.

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:19 PM