none
MSAGL heuristic layout RRS feed

Answers

• I think I did reply to this question at the referenced thread. I am probably missing something.
    Thanks,
    Lev
    Lev Nachmanson
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Hi Rub,
    I see. To achieve the effect of this picture you need to set GeometryGraph.SimpleStretch=false;
    If SimpleStretch is set to true then just a simple transformation is applied to get the required aspect ratio.
    Thanks,
    Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

To change the SimpleStretch property one needs to have access to the GeometryGraph object. I modified NodesWithImagesSample by adding these twlines

//setting the aspect ratio

geomGraph.SimpleStretch=false;

geomGraph.AspectRatio = 1;

// aspect ratio is set

geomGraph.CalculateLayout();

============

There is no good API to set it on the level of Microsoft.Drawing.Graph. I believe I did not provide such an API because I was not satisfied with the quality of the layouts produced by the algorithm when SimpleStretch is false.

Answering the question on the units: MSAGL draws in the same units as GDI+. Those are "logical units". The real size of a unit is defined by the device DPI ( Dots Per Inch).

Lev Nachmanson
    • Proposed as answer by Lev Nachmanson Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lev Nachmanson Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• I think I did reply to this question at the referenced thread. I am probably missing something.
    Thanks,
    Lev
    Lev Nachmanson
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Hi Lev,

I am sorry that i was not clear from my side. Graph.Attr.AspectRatio is a expecing a double value and by setting that property how can i achieve a graph as mentioned in the ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2007-72.pdf Figure 1.

I tried setting this property to some random values but it increases the distance between the nodes in a single row. Do i need to address any other property along with the AspectRation property?

Thanks
    Rub
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi Rub,
    I see. To achieve the effect of this picture you need to set GeometryGraph.SimpleStretch=false;
    If SimpleStretch is set to true then just a simple transformation is applied to get the required aspect ratio.
    Thanks,
    Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I stumble over the same problem, but I can't figure out *when* I have to set the AspectRatio and SimpleStrech properties. Could someone provide a more complete example?

And another question: What is the unit in which MSAGL "thinks"? In what unit are properties like LabelMargin, XRadius and so on given and settable?

Best Regards, Stefan Falk
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

To change the SimpleStretch property one needs to have access to the GeometryGraph object. I modified NodesWithImagesSample by adding these twlines

//setting the aspect ratio

geomGraph.SimpleStretch=false;

geomGraph.AspectRatio = 1;

// aspect ratio is set

geomGraph.CalculateLayout();

============

There is no good API to set it on the level of Microsoft.Drawing.Graph. I believe I did not provide such an API because I was not satisfied with the quality of the layouts produced by the algorithm when SimpleStretch is false.

Answering the question on the units: MSAGL draws in the same units as GDI+. Those are "logical units". The real size of a unit is defined by the device DPI ( Dots Per Inch).

Lev Nachmanson
    • Proposed as answer by Lev Nachmanson Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lev Nachmanson Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Hello Lev,

oh, an answer from the creator of these fine algorithms himself - Chapeau!

I still do not see any difference in the diagrams created. I use a PowerShell script, here is a code excerpt:

$graph.Attr.LayerDirection = $layerDirection
    $graph.Attr.AspectRatio = 1.3
    $graph.GeometryGraph.SimpleStretch = $false
    $renderer = New-Object Microsoft.Msagl.GraphViewerGdi.GraphRenderer($graph)
    $renderer.CalculateLayout()
    $scale = 2
    $bitmap = New-Object System.Drawing.Bitmap(($scale * [int]$graph.Width), ($scale * [int]$graph.Height))
    $renderer.Render($bitmap)

However, this does not produce any differend graph if I ommit or keep the statements with set the AspectRatio and SimpleStrech properties. Do I have to change the order of the statements?

Best Regards, Stefan Falk
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

This will not work since under the hood GraphRenderer will create a new GeometryGraph and your settings will be forgotten.

The source of GraphRenderer is inside of the distribution, so you should have it. GraphRenderer in the and calls  GViewer.LayoutAndDGraph . You can also see how  GViewer.LayoutAndDGraph works. So, for your experiments you need to change method LayoutAndDGraph to take your settings into account, just before the call to

gleeGraph.CalculateLayout();

Thanks,

Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:22 PM