none
Update Folder grayed out in Outlook 2013 on a newly created store RRS feed

• Question

• My boss tasked me with creating an add in for Outlook that goes out to a web service and gather posts and place them into a new Store (PST).  This Store isn't really connected to email but only gets hydrated via code that goes to the RESTful web service and pulls posts down and places them into folders.  I have been successfully able to create the store, folder structure, and "Mail" items in those folders based on the data obtained from the web service.  The problem is that I can do this when the Add-In loads only.  When I go to the folder structure under the new store the Update Folder button is disabled.

What I would like to know how to do in C# is; enable and trap the Update Folder button so I can go and refresh the posts in my Store.  Being that most of the samples out there are for mail, and this really isn't a folder connected to a mail provider, I can't seem to find out how to do this.

I was wondering if you have happened across any samples of what I am trying to do any where or happen to know how to do this.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:58 PM

Answers

• If there is no email account in the profile you won't be able to enable or handle or repurpose the Update Folder button, it will be disabled all the time. The best you could do would be to put your own Group in that tab and add your own button.

In cases and contexts where the button is enabled you could repurpose it. That would allow you to handle its Click event and to do what you wanted. You then could decide whether or not to allow the normal action of the button to occur. However, if the button is never enabled you'd be unable to do anything with it.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

• Marked as answer by J. Leite Monday, March 17, 2014 2:43 PM
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hello J. Leite,

What Update Folder button are you talking about?

Anyway, the Fluent UI allows to intercept/repurpose built-in controls using the <command> tag. You can read more about this in the Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers article in MSDN. Also please see similar forum threads:

Intercept the OnAction event of a Gallery element of Excel 2007 UI Ribbon

How to intercept clicking of a built-in Office Ribbon control

• Proposed as answer by Marvin_Guo Friday, March 14, 2014 9:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by J. Leite Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:50 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

The "Update Folder" next to Send/Receive All Folders, above Send All on the SEND / RECEIVE ribbon tab.  If it is grayed out will I even be able to intercept any action that is disabled?

This is not really an email server connected store.  It is supposed to go out to a RESTful service, grab some posts and hydrate the store accordingly (doesn't send/receive emails) but I *do* want to be able to intercept Send/Receive All folders for this store/folder and Update Folder so I know when to go to the RESTful service and grab all the posts since my last data grab.

Unfortunately after I create the new store the Update Folder button above the Send All button (which is what my boss uses regularly) is grayed out and I don't know how to tell that button it should be available then intercept it when someone clicks it.

Thanks again for your guidance/help.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:12 PM
  • If there is no email account in the profile you won't be able to enable or handle or repurpose the Update Folder button, it will be disabled all the time. The best you could do would be to put your own Group in that tab and add your own button.

In cases and contexts where the button is enabled you could repurpose it. That would allow you to handle its Click event and to do what you wanted. You then could decide whether or not to allow the normal action of the button to occur. However, if the button is never enabled you'd be unable to do anything with it.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

• Marked as answer by J. Leite Monday, March 17, 2014 2:43 PM
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I appreciate it.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:44 PM
  • I know this is an old thread (perhaps answered elsewhere) and this is not a coding answer but when dealing with IMAP folders, if there was a favorite created to a profile which was removed, then the update will be greyed out. delete the favorite and then recreate to the existing "new" profile and the option should be there.

I ran into this but not for programmatic reasons... I had the greyed out "update folders" option and just figured out what the issue was.

Monitoring is the art of looking for something you don't want to find.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:07 PM