How can I access files inside My User folder from the application?

Question

• I am creating an Windows Explorer kind of app using metro UI. I want to show content of a certain folder in my User folder.

I wanted to know if it is possible to access the folders and files inside users folder and how do I do it?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Subhankar

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:23 AM

Answers

• No. The app doesn't have access to arbitrary locations, only to its install and app data, and through capabilities to libraries. For other locations the user will need to grant access via the folder picker (or similar mechanism)
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Not directly.

You can open a folder picker and let the user choose to allow the app to use those folders, but the app cannot use them by default. Once picked, the app can remember the permission with the AccessCache classes.

--Rob

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:58 AM

All replies

• Not directly.

You can open a folder picker and let the user choose to allow the app to use those folders, but the app cannot use them by default. Once picked, the app can remember the permission with the AccessCache classes.

--Rob

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Actually I don't want to use Folder Picker. I want to render the content of this folder in my app so that user can see the content directly there and possibly navigate. Is that possible?  
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:22 AM
  • No. The app doesn't have access to arbitrary locations, only to its install and app data, and through capabilities to libraries. For other locations the user will need to grant access via the folder picker (or similar mechanism)
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:57 PM