none
Learning C#, getting lost! Trying to not be "that guy" . Text to Speech RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have that brain phenomenon where I can see what i don't know, but not the path to learn it!

Specifically, i am writing a small text-to-speech app which switches between languages. I've had it almost running using SSML to drive the voice changes, but as i suspected, it craps out after the second change. I figure in my noob mind that loading the voices isn't exactly easy for the program (IVONA tatyana was a 260mb download!). 

So i have it sort of working, but not quite.

What i want to learn is how to use ReadAllLines or StreamReader or similar, then use StartsWith and if/else to switch between two instances of Speech. Synthesizer (have both voices already loaded).

Basically, i want to drive it like i would in Excel; "If this line begins with "russian" send it to Synth1, if the line begins with "english' send it to Synth2"

the frustration is that i can see the MSDN methods, know generally what i want, but I'm lost in the syntax and my general complete noobiness. For what its worth, I'm not too shabby in excel and understanding the design aspects of what i want. 

My main issue here is to have learning materials that expand on the MSDN information. i don't want to be "that guy" who doesn't bother looking things up, but after around 20 plus hours and a few weeks, I'm not progressing. Or i should say its tantalizing close, but i know i need some books, or a resource to get my basics up which is somewhat related to what i actually want to achieve. 

thanks for any suggestions

Andrew

Saturday, July 21, 2018 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

For newcomers to learn C#, I recommend the documentation for MSDN:

C# Guide

The C# guide provides many resources about the C# language. This site has many different audiences. Depending on your experience with programming, or with the C# language and .NET, you may wish to explore different sections of this guide.

For brand-new developers: Start with:

The Quickstarts section.

These quickstarts let you explore the C# language interactively in your browser. From there, you can move on to the tutorials section.

I think MSDN provides a comprehensive learning material, you can refer to them to improve yourself, I wish you success.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 23, 2018 2:46 AM
  • As Stanly suggests, along with msdn sites follow below site, it will help you to understand c# completely and you can start write the code easily to implement your if/else to switch between two instances, etc. based on your requirements.

https://www.tutlane.com/tutorial/csharp

• Proposed as answer by Stanly Fan Wednesday, August 1, 2018 6:11 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 9:21 AM