TFS Upgrade from RTM to FULL Version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I'm using TFS 10.0.30128.1 RTM which is activated.
    And i want to upgrade it to Full version.
    What does the difference it makes by using RTM to Full Version?

Kind Regards,
    Arun

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Arun,

RTM is the final version before the product is released formally. Before RTM, product has versions of Beta and RC. Generally, each version has several milestones during development stage. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Arun,

I'd like to know whether you want to difference between TFS2010 and TFS2010 SP1. If not, please make a clarification.

The largest component of the TFS 2010 SP1 is the set of core product changes that are needed to enable our Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 and Project Server Integration Feature Pack. This component enables portfolio management collaboration between formal project management and developer teams. See this page for more detials about TFS 2010 SP1.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:48 AM
  • Hi Kimi,

I want the difference between TFS RTM and full version.
    Is the final product is also represented as RTM?
    I'm so confused about the terms RTM and full version.

Best Regards
    ArunKumar.J

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Hi Arun,

You're confusing with the mean of TFS RTM and name called for later updates, is ir right? Seems it's not a real TFS question. When a product is published, overall, its version can be called RTM/RTW(Release to Manufacturer/Web). Service pack will be released which integreated new features and/or security patches when it's ready. And the service pack called SP/CU(cumulate update).

I'm not quite clear the mean when you say full version. Do you mean different edition? TFS has different editions, such as Ultimate, Professional, Express etc. See this page to know the difference between TFS editions.

Best regards,

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Hi Kimi,

Yes, this is may not be a real TFS Question.

But I got this doubt while using it.

I mean to say the full version as next version to Beta version.

A Final version of a software product which is delivered to the customers.

And I don't mean to say anything about service packs.

Does the RTM version is called as the final version ?

Kind Regards
    ArunKumar.J

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Hi Arun,

RTM is the final version before the product is released formally. Before RTM, product has versions of Beta and RC. Generally, each version has several milestones during development stage. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi Kimi,

Thank you so much for your information.

Kind Regards,

ArunKumar.J

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Hi Kimi,

Some menu options are missing in menu bar of TFS management console.
    like Action,View,Window...
    I could see only File and Help options in menu bar.
    That's why I have asked whether I need to upgrade the current version to get the complete functionality??

Version No -TFS 10.0.30128.1 RTM

Kind Regards,
    ArunKumar.J

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:48 AM
  • Hi Arun,

If you use TFS2010, it's recommended to install SP1. Any other questions, please open a new thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:05 AM