none
Windows Service is crashing with an error in ntdll.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my Windows service is crashing when a call is eventually made to ntdll.dll.

Here is the event Log

Faulting application name: SparkPredictService.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x599b38b8
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17031, time stamp: 0x530895af
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000f8c9c
    Faulting process id: 0x2448
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d59a07ca8c22
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SparkPredict\SparkPredictService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 78dc3d5e-427b-11e8-80c2-00155dcd693d
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

When errors are thrown from a native dll in a .NET Windows Service (or app for that matter), how do I trouble shoot deeper and is there a way that I can change my code to handle this error?

Thank you

• Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:14 PM Moved From Visual C#
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:57 PM

All replies

• There is not much you can do after the fact. You should research procedures for error reporting and choose something. There are many options. You should implement code that catches and reports errors. I could do a search but you can too. The error occurred in ntdll.dll but it is likely your code is in the call stack. It would help to know where in your code the problem is. That is part of error detection and reporting.

Your application should check for errors whenever possible. And it helps to catch problems before they become an exception. For example, if a file is missing then it helps to be able to tell the customer that the file is missing before the application attempts to open it. If you are using third-party software then check their documentation for error detection.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Hello JustineSapphireGirl,

>>When errors are thrown from a native dll in a .NET Windows Service (or app for that matter), how do I trouble shoot deeper and is there a way that I can change my code to handle this error?

For how to debug window service you need to see below link.

How to: Debug Windows Service Applications

As for how to handle this error, first you need to know what cause this. For you log info I can't get valuable info and you should debug it step by step if the ntdll.dll create by yourself.

Best Regards,

Neil Hu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fei Hu Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:50 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:44 AM
  • Hello!

Please, take a look on this post - it has a few steps about app crash debugging

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:45 AM