none
Lookup column Dropdown or Picker RRS feed

• Question

• Very exited about the new SharePoint version, i can't wait to start to get started on the beta. My major point of interest is connecting content within sharepoint and integrated this with LOB data. BDC was a huge improvement on connection sharepoint data with LOB data. The keynote from Jeff Tepper on the SharePoint Conference was very promising on large lists and their performance.

Connecting from one list to another in Moss 2007 was only possible ootb with a lookup column (as dropdown list). This works fine with 10 items in the dropdown list, but working with large lists (a million items as in Jeff's keynote) in a dropdown is terrible.

The only thing i've seen about the lookup column is this post http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2009/10/19/sp2010-what-s-new-lookup-columns-spc09.aspx

Connection to large list would be greatly improved if the dropdown would be replaced by a BDC style picker (also with the possibility to specify the fields to filter on and the fields in the search result, just like the BDC picker)

Is this lookup with picker in the new SharePoint 2010?

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• I don't know about that particular feature, but I can tell you my method for doing this.

Now that we can modify all list forms with InfoPath, and now that InfoPath can do parameterized queries to limit the data returned from its SharePoint data connections, you can use that feature to filter the results of your query by some other factors . It may not be as cool as what you are talking about with the BDC style picker, but you can quickly limit the number of records return in your lookup column (pulldown) by first filtering the available data set with a parameter set in a previous field.  This also helps reduce the time it takes for Infopath to pull the data from the list, because instead of pulling the entire set of records, you only return the records relative to your query. 

That may or may not help, but in using the new lookup column features, I haven't seen what you were asking about.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:24 PM
  • The SharePoint community is booming!! I found the lookup with picker. http://sharepointsolutions.com/sharepoint-help/blog/index.php/2009/10/create-a-custom-picker-in-sharepoint-2010/ (thanks to those guys blogging) All Microsoft has to do is change this in the RTM functionality so everyone can enjoy this OOTB in SharePoint Server 2010. Come on Mircosoft, enhance the lookups to large lists!!

Thanks,

Marc
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Very nice - that would be awesome if they put it in RTM.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:52 PM
  • This would be an ever better option : http://www.codeplex.com/iLoveSharePoint/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15633
    It allows the default lookup dropdown to be converted to a lookup with picker by using a powershell script (and convert it back to a dropdown).
    Maybe Microsoft can add source code like this to the 2010 RTM and add the powershell script to the new powershell cmdlets.

Anybody @ Microsoft : are there any actions planned in this direction??

Marc
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:31 PM
  • I know you development guys @ Microsoft are reading this forum as well.
    I found another solution to this much wanted fuctionality in SharePoint 2010.
    This solution is even posted on the Microsoft site.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc889345.aspx
    I'n no developer so please put some kind of picker for a lookup column ootb.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I'm finding an asynchronous dropdown list of matching values when typing into a Lookup field in NewForm or EditForm with SP2010 SP1 June 2011 CU. Not sure when this functionality was introduced, but it appears that what you are looking for exists now. YEAH!

The suggested values to choose from in the dropdown list even work better than those in the dropdown accompanying a Managed Metadata field. In the dropdown for a Managed Metadata field, commas (',') are a problem: the javascript supporting the asynchronous lookup of matching values seems to think a comma is a term delimiter. Not good when your terms contain commas. To make matters worse, the Managed Metadata field will only return up to 20 matches. Combine this with the comma problem and users have a hard time choosing a term such as "Smith, Zack" when there are 20 or more other "Smith, ..." terms.

A more in-depth discussion with screen shots and a way users can overcome the Managed Metadata field shortcomings can be found on my blog. In short, to get around the comma problem, users should type a quote ('"') first.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:47 PM