WITDesigner Package Did Not Load Correctly Error RRS feed

• Question

• When we open Visual Studio 2013, we receive the error:

"The WITDesignerPackage" package did not load correctly.  The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension.  You can get more information by examining the file ... VisualStudio\12.0\ActivityLog.XML"

The first few errors in the Activity Log file are:

- Could not load English version of resource '#133;{512BE089-83EC-4CC6-8483-CF16565AE209}' from package {512BE089-83EC-4CC6-8483-CF16565AE209}

- Toolbox item 'System.Windows.Controls.Border, System.Windows, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' of package 'DesignerPackage' specified invalid bitmap resource ID '@ToolboxBitmap_Border'.

- An error occurred adding item 'System.Windows.Controls.Border, System.Windows, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' of group 'Common Silverlight Controls' of package {512BE089-83EC-4CC6-8483-CF16565AE209}

- An error occurred adding group 'Common Silverlight Controls' of package {512BE089-83EC-4CC6-8483-CF16565AE209}

According to the following site, a similar issue has been fixed in VS 2013:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/780957/package-load-error-when-installing-team-explorer-update-1

We have tried reinstalling.  Any suggestions? 

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:14 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Brett,

I just saw this case til now, if Power Tools is the problem, please try contant the writer there on Q and A of this link:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b1ef7eb2-e084-4cb8-9bc7-06c3bad9148f

Try consult them the reason why the tool failed to install. That would be reasonable.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Barry Wang Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brett123321 Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:13 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Because your issue is on VS setup, I moved this thread to Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum for better support.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:15 AM
  • Hello Brett,

How long have you installed this Visual Studio package(I mean is it a first time install)?

Have you installed any extensions before you get this error?

I check the link you provided and it is about Visual Stuido 2012 package load error. However you are using Visual Studio 2013 now and package load may have many reasons, so your problem is different with that link.

If it is the first time install, please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/  and share the link here.

If you have used VS for a period of time, then the problem may related to some entensions or wrong settings, in that way, please try the following commands:

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

1.devenv.exe  /safemode

2.devenv.exe  /resetskippkgs

3.devenv.exe  /installvstemplates

4.devenv.exe  /resetsettings

5.devenv.exe  /resetuserdata 

Regards,

Barry

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Thanks.  Feedback:

- It is a new machine and first time install

- The TFS Power Tools extension is installed

- I appreciate the error in the link was for VS 2012, however it said that the issue was fixed in VS 2013, but doesn't appear to be

- The safemode command brings up the error "System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Package SccProviderPackage failed to load"

- The command installvstemplates brings up the error "The operation could not be completed"

- The command resetsettings loads VS successfully

- The resetskippkgs and resetuserdata commands bring up the "WITDesignerPackage" error.  Clicking "yes" to the message box "Continue to show this error message" 5 times, means that the error no longer appears, even when reopening Visual Studio

- I'm unable to share the log files publically sorry

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi Brett,

What's the result if you remove TFS Power Tools extension? It sounds like the reason of your issue is related to that package, but I'm not sure whether the VS installation is already corrupt. If you don't want to share it public would you mind to send the link to my email v-barryw at microsoft dot com.

I would think two possible reasons:

1. VS installation corrupt.

2. Extension installation corrupt.

I would think it is a error installation but not a known issue.

Regards,

Barry

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Thanks.  Removing the Power Tools causes the issue to disappear.  Readding it causes the issue to reappear.  I have reproduced this on multiple machines.

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Brett123321 Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:06 AM
  • Hello Brett,

I just saw this case til now, if Power Tools is the problem, please try contant the writer there on Q and A of this link:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b1ef7eb2-e084-4cb8-9bc7-06c3bad9148f

Try consult them the reason why the tool failed to install. That would be reasonable.

Regards,

Barry

• Edited by Barry Wang Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brett123321 Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:13 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:16 AM