InputScope="Text" for Windows 8 Store app

Question

• Hello,

I need to set InputScope="Text" for TextBox to Auto-capitalize the first letter of sentence (Keyboard should automatically show capital letters for the first char and switch to small letters after the first char is entered).

I am able to do this in my windows phone 8 application. but it is not working in windows 8 store app.

Is it not supported for windows 8 store app? if so, could you please tell me the alternative solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

- Shilpa 

Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Setting the InoutScope hints to the system which keyboard mode to begin with, but it doesn't enforce specific input.

That said, I'm getting offered initial capitals at the beginning of sentences on my system with the default InputScope. There isn't a "Text" scope, so if you're setting that specifically it could cause problems. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.ui.xaml.input.inputscopenamevalue.aspx

--Rob

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:01 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Rob,

thanks for the quick response.

i have verified by setting the InputScope to default, but it is not working as you said (I'm getting offered initial capitals at the beginning of sentences on my system with the default InputScope.). I am getting the small letters for first char.

Could you please share me the code snippet of textbox, how you done that?

this is how i am doing in my app,

<TextBox Name="txtFeedback" InputScope="Default" Text="{Binding Feedback, Mode=TwoWay}" Margin="0,10,0,10"  Height="200" Width="540" AcceptsReturn="True" TextWrapping="Wrap" HorizontalAlignment="Left" BorderThickness="3" BorderBrush="{StaticResource LFBlueThemeBrush}"/>

Am i doing anything wrong here? please verify!

- Shilpa

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:32 AM
  • It looks like the sample I tested used a RichEditBox (very boring: <RichEditBox />), not a TextBox.

--Rob

Friday, February 14, 2014 9:47 PM
    Owner
  • I even tried with RichEditBox, getting the same error:(

"WinRT information: Failed to create a 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Input.InputScope' from the text 'Text'"

Is it(InputScope="Text") not supported for windows 8 application? 

- Shilpa

• Edited by Shilpa_k Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:51 PM
  • As the error suggests, "Text" is not a valid InputScope. See See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.ui.xaml.input.inputscopenamevalue.aspx for the list.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:11 PM
    Owner