Problem with Robotics Tutorial 5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to MRDS, and hope I'm posting this in the right section. I am currently working through the tutorials, and facing a problem with Robotics Tutorial 5 right off the bat, where I'm asked to run the project using the DSS command prompt. I've not edited anything from the tute.

I'm getting a whole list of warnings and errors. Here's the first warning:

** Common Create Handler ExceptionSystem.InvalidOperationException: Service not found: http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotics/2006/06/arcosbumper.html at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.DataCache.LoadServiceAssemblies(ServiceInfoType createRequest) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Constructor.ConstructorService.CommonCreateHandler(DsspOperation create)

The error that follows is:

*** Error creating service. Service type:http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotics/2006/06/arcosbumper.html

I'm getting the same warnings and errors for arcosdrive.html and arcoscore.html as well. 

I am currently using MRDS 4 with Visual Studio 2010 Premium.

Can anyone please help? 

Thanks

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:47 AM

Answers

• I can try :)

You essentially need to make a manifest that includes the simulated Pioneer along with the Explorer service which you're working on in Tutorial 5. The manifest that comes with the tutorial expects real hardware.

I'd start by making a copy of the MobileRobots.P3DX.Simulation.manifest.xml since it has a lot of what you want. Change the project properties (Debug > Command line arguments) to use this copied manifest.

Next, migrate over the Explorer stuff from the manifest that comes with the tutorial project. You want the ServiceRecordType for the Explorer service. Of course, you'll need to copy the namespace declaration (xmlns:explorer="...") as well.

Then you'll need to modify the Partners to no longer refer to the Arcos stuff (which was the original source of your errors). Change them to use the things from sim (“arcosbumper” becomes “simulatedbumper”, “arcosdrive” becomes “simulateddifferentialdrive”, etc.)

You should hopefully then be on your way to working on the tutorial.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:59 AM

All replies

• Can you specify the command line you are running this tutorial with?

I.e. it should start with > dsshost32.exe /p:50000 /t:50001 /m: <manifest ....>

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I followed the tutorial and used

dsshost32.exe /port:50000 /manifest:"samples\config\Explorer.manifest.xml"

I've also tried adding /t:50001 but that didn't change anything.

How do I proceed from here?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Is your PC hooked up to a Pioneer 3-DX?

From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb483042.aspx

> This tutorial is based on the assumption that you have a MobileRobots Pioneer 3-DX platform with a SICK Laser Range Finder mounted on top or something very similar.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Hi Greg,

I was attempting to use the simulator for this tutorial, and I just realised I should probably be including another manifest file.

Now when I use the following command line:

dsshost32.exe /p:50000 t:50001 /m:"samples\config\MobileRobots.P3DX.Simulation.manifest.xml" /m:"samples\config\Explorer.manifest.xml"

the Visual Simulation Environment starts up, together with the simple dashboard, but the warnings and errors are still there. 

Should I be using another manifest file instead? If not, how should I proceed if I want to use a simulated P3DX?

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Unfortunately, getting the Explorer manifest to talk to the P3DX.Simulation rather than to actual hardware is not as simple as running both manifests together. As Greg said, the Explorer manifest (and Tutorial 5 in general) assumes you have a Pioneer 3-DX.

In your above command, the sim manifest starts without errors (and you can actually drive it around with the dashboard, etc. Connect > P3DXMotorBase > Drive). But the Explorer manifest give the same errors as before due to dependency on all the Arcos services (core, drive, bumper) used within which assume real hardware.

You may be able to work through some of Tutorial 5 in sim with SimulatedDiffDrive/Bumper/LRF/...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Hi Ashley,

The tutorial mentions that I "can also construct a similar robot, physically or by using the simulator." 

Would you be kind enough to briefly guide me through the steps I need to take to work through the tutorial using the simulator?

Thanks and regards,

Andrew

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:57 AM
  • I can try :)

You essentially need to make a manifest that includes the simulated Pioneer along with the Explorer service which you're working on in Tutorial 5. The manifest that comes with the tutorial expects real hardware.

I'd start by making a copy of the MobileRobots.P3DX.Simulation.manifest.xml since it has a lot of what you want. Change the project properties (Debug > Command line arguments) to use this copied manifest.

Next, migrate over the Explorer stuff from the manifest that comes with the tutorial project. You want the ServiceRecordType for the Explorer service. Of course, you'll need to copy the namespace declaration (xmlns:explorer="...") as well.

Then you'll need to modify the Partners to no longer refer to the Arcos stuff (which was the original source of your errors). Change them to use the things from sim (“arcosbumper” becomes “simulatedbumper”, “arcosdrive” becomes “simulateddifferentialdrive”, etc.)

You should hopefully then be on your way to working on the tutorial.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:59 AM