I need to reinstall and update SQL Server 2005 in order to upgrade to SQL 2014 please help. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to reinstall and update SQL Server 2005 in order to upgrade to SQL 2014 please help. I have used Microsoft Accounting 2009 for a number of years without a problem, until I upgraded to WIN 10 and then my hard drive failed. So I have had to rebuild my system with a new copy of WIN 10. When I try to install MS accounting it installs SQL server 2005 but I can not get WIN 10 to install SP 2. I have to get to SP4 for SQL 2005 in order to be able to upgrade to SQL 2014. Please help, I am not a techie.

Regards

Bobby Ingram

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:02 PM

All replies

• Good day,

Unfortunately (for you),  the extended support for all versions of SQL Server 2005 ended on April 12, 2016. As much as I know it is not supported on windows 10.

You can install SQL Server 2005 on Virtual machine with older operating system, in order to migrate the databases to the new version. Simply create a Virtual Machine in your machine and use it for the migration.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:20 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 11:13 PM
  • OK can you show me error you are getting while applying Sp4. Show me contents of summary.txt log file which generated after failed upgrade

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:19 AM