none
Programs that use .Net Framework cause pc to Freeze RRS feed

• Question

• I have .Net 3.5 installed on my pc.  My problem is that every time I try to run any program that uses the .Net Framework, my pc freezes and I have to hardboot back into Windows.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling from .Net 1.1 all the way back up to 3.5 with the same problem.

This is a problem since I program in .Net visual studio.  Visual Studio opens just fine, I don't believe it runs on .Net though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PC spec:

AMD 64x2 3600 running XP Home Edition
    2g Memory
    512mb 8600gt video card
    320g hardrive
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:01 PM

All replies

• No, Visual Studio uses the .NET framework too.  Lots of VS features were implemented in .NET.  No idea why your programs won't run, you haven't provided any diagnostic.  Start by uninstalling legitimate malware like virus scanners.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I don't exactly know how to run diagnostics for .Net programs.  I just started to use .Net studio, I have been using Netbeans with java, and wanted to learn a new program language.

I can say that .Net programs worked fine before I upgraded to the AMD 64x2, I had a Intel Celeron 2.4ghz.  I don't know if there is something that .Net framework doesn't like about the AMD processor or about dual core processors.

Thanks for helping.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 12:24 PM
  • .NET has no problem with AMD processors or multi core CPUs.  Running one myself.  It just doesn't like your machine for some reason.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I came to that conclusion as well. Are there any diagnostic programs I can run, or is there a log file that .Net uses so I can try to figure out why some programs won't run.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 1:10 PM
  • - Try installing Service Pack 1.

- Clean up your machine.

Else:

Format your machine, and install Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 which in turn will install everything step by step.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:41 PM