none
FTP server errors on 2 Individual BizTalk Servers RRS feed

• Question

• In our organization, we have 2 BizTalk server sharing one DB, they perform like 2 nodes for any message that flows through BTS, and picks up messages according to their availability. I have recently noticed in the event viewer that those 2 BTS have been generating warnings in regards to FTP adapters, issues illustrated as below:

We have a FTP server that accepts file from another system on a daily basis, then when the file is ready, at midnight every day, the orchestration checks the ftp server folder for the file and process it. The FTP server folder is configured as a receive location bounded with a receive port for orchestration to check file availability. I can see that every day at midnight, there is at least 1 warning message in application event viewer about FTP adapter as below:

• The adapter "FTP" raised an error message. Details "Unable to connect to FTP server "ftp.xxx.com" as user "xxx". Inner Exception details: "An error occured while reading a response from the server. This could be due to the timeout settings. Also check whether the FTP server has SSL enabled and uses implict SSL as the FTPS connection mode. ". ".

Then the corresponding number of recovery messages follows:

• The adapter "FTP" raised an error message. Details "The adapter recovered from recent failures. The Event Log Error Threshold count reset. ".

I understand since 2 BizTalk servers are sharing 1 BTS message box, therefore, they might sometimes fight against each other, so I would initially expect to see those warning messages appear on either server event viewer, however, I saw those warning messages being logged on both servers in the event viewer. Sometimes they are logged twice on both servers, sometimes twice on one server and once on the other. This is the first thing I do not understand.

Moreover, in regards to the first warning message above, I checked the FTP adapter configurations, they are configured as active mode, explicit FTPS connection mode but a 'No' in the 'Use SSL' option. Use Data Protection is 'Yes'. So here FTP is not even configured to use SSL.

Can anyone shed some light? Any helpful note will be much appreciated.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:35 PM

Answers

• That specific error not withstanding, it seems you have a setup problem I think you should address first.

Because the FTP's are not transactional, an FTP Receive Location should not be enabled on more than one BizTalk Host computer at a time.  This would happen in the Handler Host Instance is Started on two or more computers.

The Handler Host for a FTP Receive Location should be started on only one computer at a time.  For this reason, certain Adapters are supported in a Cluster scenario: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa561801.aspx

The first thing you should try is creating a dedicated Receive Host, mapped to only one computer, for this Receive Location.  Monitor to see of the error reoccurs and go from there.

Monday, September 1, 2014 1:19 PM

All replies

• That specific error not withstanding, it seems you have a setup problem I think you should address first.

Because the FTP's are not transactional, an FTP Receive Location should not be enabled on more than one BizTalk Host computer at a time.  This would happen in the Handler Host Instance is Started on two or more computers.

The Handler Host for a FTP Receive Location should be started on only one computer at a time.  For this reason, certain Adapters are supported in a Cluster scenario: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa561801.aspx

The first thing you should try is creating a dedicated Receive Host, mapped to only one computer, for this Receive Location.  Monitor to see of the error reoccurs and go from there.

Monday, September 1, 2014 1:19 PM
  • Agree with boatseller.

FTP is not supported in multiserver (Active/Active mode).

Regards

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:49 AM