none
hyper Links RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Excel spreadsheet that I cut and paste into expressions web to make a table.

they sheet has a column with email address and a column with web sites.  when I paste the table into expression web it looses teh hyperlinks.  Is there a way for that not to happen or a way to highlite a column in EW and have it add hyperlinks automaticlly?  I have about 300 rows in the table to clicking on each one takes over an hjour.

Thanks

Larry

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:20 PM

All replies

• Try sending the document to a Gmail account.  Google will provide a HTML version which may retain links on the email addresses.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:55 PM
  • that sorta worked.  it brought the hyperlinks in but then all the cells are the same size and the text is on top of each other. IIn the original excel some rows are wider and text wrap is on.  in the EW table I hight the cells and un check the box for nowrap and nothing happens and the check come right back to the box? any ideas?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:36 PM
  • "un check the box for nowrap and nothing happens and the check come right back to the box?"

That behavoir is consistent with what happens when it's set elsewhere and EW can't change it at the cell level.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:27 PM
  • I have an Excel spreadsheet that I cut and paste into expressions web to make a table.

they sheet has a column with email address and a column with web sites.  when I paste the table into expression web it looses teh hyperlinks.  Is there a way for that not to happen or a way to highlite a column in EW and have it add hyperlinks automaticlly?  I have about 300 rows in the table to clicking on each one takes over an hjour.

Thanks

Larry

Have you tried saving the spread sheet as a web page?

File > Save As >Web page ( *.htm *.html )
    or
    File > Save as web page

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:06 PM
  • That's going to produce some very, very ugly code...
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:37 PM
  • This has come up before. Recently, in fact. Just as last time, I'll suggest using the Excel spreadsheet as a data source for an ASP.NET control. Here's a page with sample code http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP.NET-Code/Read-Excel-files-from-ASPNET/

There are no doubt other examples around. Google "asp.net excel data" to find more than you'll probably ever need. If you do decide to go with this route, depending upon your current table and your requirements, you might want to add a column and generate a number series as a primary key for the table.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:55 PM
  • You could do is export the spreadsheet in csv format. Paste it into an EW html document in the design view. Highlight it and go to the menu table->convert->text to table. Then the table is loaded as a nice tidy html table, although the markup around the links will be missing. Then you could use the EW Find and Replace tool to write a regular expression search to rebuild the anchor tags around the urls and email addresses.  You might need to study up on the regular expression syntax but once done it would work to do this task quickly forevermore.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:13 AM
  • All you need to do to convert any url back into a hyperlink is to add a space in design view at the end of the hyperlink. So if there are not a lot of links it is easier/faster to do that than create a regular expression.

You can also paste the table in, select the table and use Edit > Remove Formatting then convert table to text which will clear the table mark-up w/o removing hyperlinks. Reselect the created comma serapated content and  reconvert.

You'll have a little ____ to delete in the head section but that's another way to get a clean table.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:36 PM