silent install with the "log on as" set RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,
    I would like to run a silent install of SQL and during the install set the "Log On As" as the Local System.  I tried SQLACCOUNT="nt authority\Local System" but i get an error:
    "SQL Server Setup could not validate the servers accounts.  Either the service accounts have not been provided for all of the services being installed, or the specified username or password is incorrect.  For each service, specify a valid username, password, and domain, or specify a built-in system account."
    First is this the correct code to change the "Log On As" user account for the SQL Server?  if not how is it done, if so what am i doing wrong?

here is my whole string:

C:\SQLEXPR32.EXE /qb ADDLOCAL=all INSTANCENAME=TESTEXPRESS DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=2 SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=StrongPassword  SQLACCOUNT="nt authority\Local System"
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI msdnFalcon,

If you want Local System selected, you need to use SQLACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". 

I wish you a nice day,

Torsten Schuessler
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:33 AM
  • I still get the same error.  Do I need a SQLPASSWORD=? statement?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:09 PM
  • The reason I wanted to use Local System was because during the installation of other software that uses SQL2005 i get an error if the "Log On As" user does not have access to the folders that the software creates.

How about this idea:
    Use the make directory command in DOS prior to running the SQL install to create the folders that the software needs to write to so that the current loged in user has access to that new folder and then make sure the logged in user is what is listed for SQLACCOUNT and SQLPASSWORD.  That way the "Log On As" user has access to the folders needed.

Does that sound like it will work, can you think of any issues i might bump into whit this plan?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:00 AM