Can you mirror to multiple instances on same server via one endpoint? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

Can a MIRROR server have mirrored databases on many instances or must all of the mirrored databases on a server reside on one instance?

This initial implementation worked fine:

PRINCIPAL   ServerPROD1\instance01     endpoint1430

MIRROR       ServerDR\instance01          endpoint1440

WITNESS     ServerZ                             endpoint1450

This second implementation (different PRINCIPAL server to same MIRROR but to a different instance)

PRINCIPAL   ServerPROD2\instance5     endpoint1430

MIRROR       ServerDR\instance02          endpoint1440   <<same mirror server but different instance

WITNESS     ServerZ                             endpoint1450

I know that you can only install one endpoint on each server. Does that mean that the endpoint can only resolve to one instance though?

The second implementation looks fine until the final step (start mirroring). I get the following error:

An error occured while starting mirroring

Alter failed for database 'test'

An exception occurred while executing transaction-sql statement or batch

The remote copy of database 'test' does not exist. Check the database name and resissue the command

I have created the test database in instance02 and rolled a log onto it. It is currently in recovery mode - waiting patiently for another log.....

I have read books online and 2k5 unleashed but can't see anything that relates to an implementation across mutliple instances on the DR\mirrored servers.

Has anyone tried to do this? Can you confirm its possible?

Many thanks in advance...

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:17 PM

Answers

• Lee,

You need to have a different endpoint for servers involved in mirroring even if its another instance you need to have another endpoint I believe. If you try configuring a new endpoint other than 1440 for the instance erverDR\instance02 , the mirroring will work fine I believe !

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:11 PM

All replies

• Just to answer my own question.

Yes, you can install a different end point on each instance (using a different port number). This enables mirrored databases to reside on different instances of the same server.  

These select statements show the currently configured tcp endpoints for that instance.

select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints

select name,role_desc,state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints

Lee

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:25 PM
  • Lee,

You need to have a different endpoint for servers involved in mirroring even if its another instance you need to have another endpoint I believe. If you try configuring a new endpoint other than 1440 for the instance erverDR\instance02 , the mirroring will work fine I believe !

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:11 PM