problems unpack the July proMRDS RRS feed

• Question

•  

how to unpack the July proMRDS?

when i use the dssdeploy,the problem is below:

"This package was created to be deployed into a specific version of Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio.Please use the '/specific'command line option"

but i have installed  visual studio 2008 and robotics v2.0,I just don't know why?

And I am reading the book of professional microsoft robotics,the simulation is so interesting that I want to see how it works.

thanks

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:19 AM

Answers

• Taylor:

I fount the reason I can't install "ProMRDS-30-Jul-2008.exe" is that my previous version is "MRDS 2008 CTP April",not  " CTP JULY".

However,after I download the CTP july,unfortunately I have another problem,Just as you have saw in the WROX p2p Community Forums"http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73164".when I act "start without debugging" in visual studio 2008 to the chapter 8.I have got the same  instance of "The working directory does exist : D:\Documents and Settings\taylort2.QUTAD\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\" ,it fail to jump into simulation. .before these I have run the following command:
    DssProjectMigration /b- ProMRDS.

So I try  typping "bin\simulatedlynxl6arm.cmd" in the command prompt ,it works well ,maybe that is enough. But I want to do something funny and  I'd like to change the code and apply my idea. such as change the degree of freedom of the joints, or change the picture of the robot. so what is the difference of simulation between the "start in visual studio" and " .cmd"?

thanks very much for your time.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:23 AM

All replies

•  

unpack the ProMRDS-30-Jul-2008.exe
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:21 AM
  • taylor:

this moning i just reinstall the version into V1.5

the code of chapter 8 is very funny. especially the topple dominos.thanks for your book.

I just ask the second question: run in the visual studio 2008 will cause results not same as 2005? 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:01 AM
  • There is an updated version of the software on the web site (http://www.promrds.com) for the July CTP of V2.0. DssDeploy packages are designed to only install into the same version as where they were built.

In general you can move code from one version of RDS to another using the DssProjectMigration tool. However, you need the source code to do this, not a DssDeploy package. The source (for V1.5) is also available as a ZIP file on the web site.

You can thank Kyle for the toppling dominos. I like them too :-)

You can use VS2008 with the examples. Just be aware that the first time you open a project in VS2008 it will upgrade the project. After that you will not be able to open the project in VS2005.

A different issue is if you are moving from one version of RDS to another. Even though the projects can be migrated, this does not mean that they will all compile and run. Sometimes there can be small changes that will cause code not to compile. Mostly I have taken care of these in the July CTP version.

After V2.0 officially ships I will provide an updated DssDeploy package. I can't do that right now because V2.0 has not been released :-)

Trevor

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:16 PM
  •  

Thanks for your answer, Trevor. I did as you commented on your post.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Taylor:

I fount the reason I can't install "ProMRDS-30-Jul-2008.exe" is that my previous version is "MRDS 2008 CTP April",not  " CTP JULY".

However,after I download the CTP july,unfortunately I have another problem,Just as you have saw in the WROX p2p Community Forums"http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73164".when I act "start without debugging" in visual studio 2008 to the chapter 8.I have got the same  instance of "The working directory does exist : D:\Documents and Settings\taylort2.QUTAD\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\" ,it fail to jump into simulation. .before these I have run the following command:
    DssProjectMigration /b- ProMRDS.

So I try  typping "bin\simulatedlynxl6arm.cmd" in the command prompt ,it works well ,maybe that is enough. But I want to do something funny and  I'd like to change the code and apply my idea. such as change the degree of freedom of the joints, or change the picture of the robot. so what is the difference of simulation between the "start in visual studio" and " .cmd"?

thanks very much for your time.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:23 AM