none
Outlook fires BeforeDelete for recurring meeting before showing Confirm Dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I ran in to the issue with Item.BeforeDelete event. Outlook fires it before showing confirmation dialog so I have no chance either detect if user is deleting one occurrence or entire series. Also how can I understand if user cancel this operation.

Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, June 3, 2011 4:34 PM

Answers

• Then I think you'd need to handle the ItemChange() event for the Items collection of that folder. I think that's about the only event that might help in this case.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Anton Chochia" <=?utf-8?B?QW50b24gQ2hvY2hpYQ==?=> wrote in message news:c7039fde-8e3d-4cb6-82ea-5e63a4bb5d5f...

Ken,

Yes, it works, but only for single instance meeting or for entire series. But if I try to delete one occurrence from series Outlook doesn't fire BeforeItemMove event. I assume because in that case Outlook just add exception entry (mark occurrence for  given date as deleted) to recurring pattern of calendar item instead. I need to handle delete for any kind of calendar items such as appointments, meetings, recurring meetings, occurrence of meeting.

Thanks.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:10 PM

All replies

• BeforeDelete() has always had some limitations.

If you are using Outlook 2007 or 2010 you'd be better off using the Folder level BeforeItemMove() event handler.

You can set that up each time the folder is changed in the Explorer.BeforeFolderSwitch() event.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Anton Chochia" <=?utf-8?B?QW50b24gQ2hvY2hpYQ==?=> wrote in message news:33028a93-3f26-4c69-8d78-8fed0465fea2...

Hello!

I ran in to the issue with Item.BeforeDelete event. Outlook fires it before showing confirmation dialog so I have no chance either detect if user is deleting one occurrence or entire series. Also how can I understand if user cancel this operation.

Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, June 3, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Ken,

Yes, it works, but only for single instance meeting or for entire series. But if I try to delete one occurrence from series Outlook doesn't fire BeforeItemMove event. I assume because in that case Outlook just add exception entry (mark occurrence for  given date as deleted) to recurring pattern of calendar item instead. I need to handle delete for any kind of calendar items such as appointments, meetings, recurring meetings, occurrence of meeting.

Thanks.

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Then I think you'd need to handle the ItemChange() event for the Items collection of that folder. I think that's about the only event that might help in this case.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Anton Chochia" <=?utf-8?B?QW50b24gQ2hvY2hpYQ==?=> wrote in message news:c7039fde-8e3d-4cb6-82ea-5e63a4bb5d5f...

Ken,

Thanks.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:10 PM