none
SMTP service of Windows Server 2008 not accessible, giving error: out of memory RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a transport Sink of SMTP service, which works pretty fine in Windows server 2003. Now the server is upgraded to Windows server 2008 and I am suffering two issues:
    1. The SMTP service is totally not accessible either through Outlook clinets (outlook express and outlook 2003) or telnet.
    While using outlook client, I created a account connecting to the server which hosts SMTP service, and I got the error "4.3.1 Out of memorry" each time I try to send a mail.
    While doing the telnet test, I can connect to the SMTP server successfully. "EHLO", "MAIL FROM" and "RCPT TO" commands works fine. However, when it comes to the next command "DATA", the SMTP server returns the same error as what the Outlook client got.
    It is said that the insufficient permisson of the "System" account in the machine where the SMTP server is hosted could cause this issue, however, I did checked that the "System" account does have the full permission against the "mailroot" folder.
    Anyone could help this issue, I do appreciate.

2. The SMTP sink was found no longer be able to be registered by smtpreg.vbs. I am getting the error "type mismatch". This definitely works fine in windows server 2003.  Someone who knows what is going on. I do hope I can gain some help here in this forum. Appreciate any kind of help.

• Edited by Aldrick Wan Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:48 PM

All replies

• Greetings Aldrick Wan,

You can try out with below mentioned steps,

For issue 1:

Step 1: Please make a clean boot to make sure the problem is not caused third party software:

If this didn't resolve the issue.

Step 2: The problem occurs when The Exchange routing engine does not have sufficient permissions to write the messages to the BadMail, Pickup, and Queue folders that are located under the \Mailroot\VSI 1 folder. so please check the permissions.

If step 2 will not helps you to resolve your issue.

Then, the following command should resolve the issue which you are facing,

regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\mailmsg.dll

For issue 2:

I hope duplicate sinks are registered. In this event, you just cross check whether any duplicates are registered. But i am not sure this is the case. If i find anything else i will post you the same.

Regards,
    Harish

• Proposed as answer by Harish Prahalad Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:32 PM