none
Kinect Sample Rate RRS feed

• Question

• When I first started using Kinect I was getting 30 samples per second and now it has reduced to 15 samples per second. Why did it change? How can I fix it?
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:51 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately you cannot.

The Kinect v2 frame rate is variable and it does not depend on your code. It will keep changing as you go and run your applications. As a general rule, a better performing machine will help you get better performance in terms of frame rate. Also if you don't need the color data stream from the sensor, turning that off will help you keep a higher frame rate.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:50 PM
  • If it is definately a hard-cap at 15 rather than just a slow PC, then its probably due to the kinectservice automatically reducing the frame rate to 15 fps in low light conditions to try and keep the saturation of the RGB constant-ish. Try using it in brighter lighting conditions, or dont ask for multiple frames (RGB + D + IR) in one go, like Alessandro suggests, just get depth.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 9:18 AM
  • To make things official.

The color data stream is diminished in low light

Under low light conditions, Kinect will fall back to 15 FPS under low light conditions.

PS: We are all assuming you are talking about 15FPS in color samples. Might you be talking about 15FPS in other kinds of samples alone?

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Also, if you're using a laptop, we've noticed many laptops enter in "battery saving mode" when unplugged, this mode lowers the CPU and GPU performance, directly affecting the Kinect framerate.

Vicente Penades

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Goes without saying....but since we entered the Power Management realm, there's another setting that diminishes perf in the Power Plan Settings, something about USB Link State which must be set to off.

And another reason for diminshed perf from a sensor is when you have more than one demanding devices on the same usb bus. In case you have more than one(one being the sensor), remove them.

This is a pretty good troubleshooting guide covering most cases.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:52 AM