none
Problems on opening a merged docx with Word 2010 (no problem with Word 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we build a process which is merging some docx files to one. All the single files are build of the same "template" (it's not a real template just a normal docx file where some fields are changed in every file). It is like a own coded mailmerge.

So after building all single files we merge them to one. We take the whole xmlcode between the body-tag and concat them with a section-brake between.

All header references and other referenced stuff is still the same because we only change textcontent in the single files.

This works great with Office 2007. But if we use Office 2010 sometimes i get an error on opening the merged file. As seen on error the problem is the header or footer on a specific point. The same file we can open with Word 2007 without any errormessage.

The problem is the alternatecontent with Choice and fallback.

When we manually delete the choice and fallback tags in the xml and only retain the content of the fallback-tag then we can open the file with Word 2010.

I searched for some documentation about the alternatecontent (choice and fallback) but i found not much.

So is there any known problems. Whats wrong with the header construct and why does is work with 2007 but not with 2010. And why does it work when deleting the alternatecontent-frame.

Sorry for my english but i hope i could explain whats the problem.

Best regards,

Bjoern

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hello Bjoern,

Thanks for posting. I would suggest you could do more tests on your side. It might help us to narrow down this issue.

Does this issue only happen on some xml elements in Word file? For this point, the files to be merged are the same in Office 2007 and Office 2010. Right? If yes, we could also try to merge some simple word file in Office 2010, and see if this issue also happens.

Is this project only using Word automation? Or also using other technology I missed?

What this error is exactly?

Here are some resources about a similar error. However, I am not sure about this point. Please check them and see if they are helpful for this question.

A Choice element cannot follow a Fallback element in an AlternateContent element:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb514542(v=vs.90).aspx.

At least one Choice element must be included in an AlternateContent element:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb514652(v=vs.90).aspx.

If you have any concern on this post, just feel free to follow up. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, February 25, 2011 10:02 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:44 AM