Windows Developer Preview keeps freezing on my Dell Studio XPS

Question

• Same Damn thing is happening to me, its driving me crazy, I have a Dell Studio XPS and this damn OS keeps freezing out of nowhere, no blue screen, no errors, nothing, the hard drive simply STOPS and the screen just freezes, no cranking hard drive, no ability to do CTRL ALT DEL.

I searched the forums and only suggestion is doing Windows update which i did and installed everything.  And doing driver updates for my video card, which i did

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:47 AM

Answers

• Hey Cityguru,

I've split your response into its own thread since your problem is occurring with different hardware.

You mentioned that you have installed the latest driver for your video card. You may want to try installing the latest version of all available drivers for your computer from the link below.
    Dell - Drivers and Downloads

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If installing the latest drivers doesn't resolve this problem, try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from the link above. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on your computer/motherboard provider's website.

Modifying BIOS, complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:40 AM