How do I enable Android development? RRS feed

• Question

• I came across some articles that state now we can develop iOS/Android apps using Visual Studio 2017. It seems I only need to install some components using the fantastic setup program. But I worry if I need to install any 3rd party tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ignorance is blissful

• Edited by Neo the 1 Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Xamarin can be installed as part of Visual Studio 2017 installation, with the following steps:

1. Download Visual Studio 2017 Community, Visual Studio Professional, or Visual Studio Enterprise from the Visual Studiopage (download links are provided at the bottom).
    2. Double-click the downloaded package to start installation.
    3. Select the Mobile development with .NET workload from visual studio installer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/get-started/installation/index?tabs=windows

Because Xamarin is now included with all editions of Visual Studio at no extra cost and does not require a separate license, you can use the Visual Studio installer to download and install Xamarin.Android tools. (The manual installation and licensing steps that were required for earlier versions of Xamarin.Android are no longer necessary.) You don’t need to install any 3rd party tools for the installation of Xamarin.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Xamarin can be installed as part of Visual Studio 2017 installation, with the following steps:

1. Download Visual Studio 2017 Community, Visual Studio Professional, or Visual Studio Enterprise from the Visual Studiopage (download links are provided at the bottom).
    2. Double-click the downloaded package to start installation.
    3. Select the Mobile development with .NET workload from visual studio installer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/get-started/installation/index?tabs=windows

Because Xamarin is now included with all editions of Visual Studio at no extra cost and does not require a separate license, you can use the Visual Studio installer to download and install Xamarin.Android tools. (The manual installation and licensing steps that were required for earlier versions of Xamarin.Android are no longer necessary.) You don’t need to install any 3rd party tools for the installation of Xamarin.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I have a further question here. Am I eligible to develop commercial Android apps using the Community Edtion (without additional license/fee from Xamarin)?

Ignorance is blissful

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

You can develop commercial Android apps using the community edition.

Xamarin is included in Visual Studio at no extra cost. Xamarin is in every edition of Visual Studio, including the widely-available Visual Studio Community Edition, which is free for individual developers, open source projects, academic research, education, and small professional teams.

Best regards,

Joyce

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:22 AM