none
Datasync issue on the new Azure Management Portal RRS feed

• Question

• We've been using DataSync from the old Azure Management Portal across several databases for a few months without any issue.

We are now facing issues with the new portal: we can see the existing datasync groups and thier status, but if we select any data sync Group we are unable to see the details in the reference (NAME and SERVER/AGENT columns are empty) and we can't see sync rules either (it says we have no sync rules).

I also tried to create a new Sync Group between to identical databases on two different servers in the same region (Western Europe), which is the same situation we have for all our databases.

I go through all the steps described in this article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh456372.aspx) and enter Group name, hub data and reference db data and the Datasync Group creation completes. I use the db admin as credentials.

The Status is Not Ready, I don't see the details in the Reference tab, there is no sync rul and when I try to create a new sync rule the database drop down list is empty and I can't proceed any further.

I will add that in the databases (hub and reference) I can't find the datasync. tables nor the storedprocedures and triggers usually created by the datasync provisioning process.

Thanks

Carlo

Friday, May 10, 2013 10:04 AM

Answers

• Ok, we solved the problem and we can use the new portal to configure and use Data Sync.

We removed all the Sync Groups and we used the deprovisioningutil.exe to clean up all the databases and remove all the datasync.* tables, stored procedures and triggers.

We still had two SQL Data Sync Agents we used some times ago when we synchronized a couple of on premise SQL Server, but we could not remove them, because they still had registered databases, but the key was no longer valid and the agent didn't accept a new key.

At last we decided to delete the whole Sync Server from the old portal and that solved our issue.

Probably a faster solution would be to delete the Sync Server and use deprovisioningutil.exe to clean up the DBs.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:17 PM

All replies

• We have exactly the same problem as above with our existing agents and sync groups from the old portal. I tried adding a completely new agent via the new portal and registering a database but it does not appear in the database REFERENCES list. It is therefore impossible to create any sync groups.

I am starting to panic as the old portal warns that Data Sync will be removed from it in May 2013 which will leave us without any way to manage existing sync groups!! 

Thanks,

Clyde

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Just to let you know I have been speaking to a Senior Support Escalation Engineer from the Azure tech team who is looking into the matter. I'll keep you advised of any developments.

Clyde

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Ok, we solved the problem and we can use the new portal to configure and use Data Sync.

We removed all the Sync Groups and we used the deprovisioningutil.exe to clean up all the databases and remove all the datasync.* tables, stored procedures and triggers.

We still had two SQL Data Sync Agents we used some times ago when we synchronized a couple of on premise SQL Server, but we could not remove them, because they still had registered databases, but the key was no longer valid and the agent didn't accept a new key.

At last we decided to delete the whole Sync Server from the old portal and that solved our issue.

Probably a faster solution would be to delete the Sync Server and use deprovisioningutil.exe to clean up the DBs.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Is that the official answer?  Rebuild the system?
    Monday, May 20, 2013 9:29 PM
  • I tried blowing away everything, Sync Groups, Agents, running deprovisioningutil.exe deleting Azure hub databases and destination databases. Starting fresh, and I still can not get the my on-premise databases to show up in Reference Database step.

This is critical to our application (we used Data Sync in the old portal for years now), but have found that we can't do anything now in the new portal and the old portal is gone.

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:43 PM
  • I am also facing same issue .

Please share deprovisioningutil.exe utility path and is it possible to keep some data bases ?

we need some data bases for development purpose .

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:12 AM
  • I am also facing same issue .

Please share deprovisioningutil.exe utility path and is it possible to keep some data bases ?

we need some data bases for development purpose .

The deprovisioningutil.exe is located in the install directory of Microsoft Data Sync Agent. By Default you will find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Data Sync\bin
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for Reply .

I tried blowing away everything, Sync Groups, Agents, running deprovisioningutil.exe deleting Azure hub databases and destination databases. Starting fresh, and I still can not get the my on-premise databases to show up in Reference Database step.

This is critical to our application (we used Data Sync in the old portal for years now), but have found that we can't do anything now in the new portal and the old portal is gone.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:06 PM
  • In Old portal , Not able to see any server and Data bases and Sync groups .

Please provide support engineers contact details if any body knows

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:08 PM
  •  In old Portal , not showing any sync servers .

Please suggest how to delete the whole Sync Server from the old portal ? 

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:29 PM
  • In Old portal , Not able to see any server and Data bases and Sync groups .

Please provide support engineers contact details if any body knows

It looks like your experiencing the same issue as me: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/5a0dfeff-28b1-461c-8ada-8b25bdab72c2

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Hi ,

Please share any update on this ?

Please provide support engineer details

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Yes Corey , Still not able to see Onpremise DB in reference data base section .

Need help on how to remove server from old portal .

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:20 PM
  • We are also facing exately the same issue! We can´t see the reference Details and we also can´t access the old portal. Please advice as this is really critical to our customers!

Thanks in advance!

Friday, May 24, 2013 8:26 AM