none
Controlling platform from platformbuilder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is there a way to control the target mouse from platformbuilder, so I can control the target without having a mouse connected to the target. (kind of remote desktop)

regards, Maarten

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:28 PM

All replies

• You haven't told us what version of Windows CE we're talking about.  Most versions have a very simple remote control application called CERHost that you can put in the operating system.  There's a corresponding PC program that you use as the client.  It sends mouse moves to the CE device from the host and ships the graphical display from the CE device, also.

Paul T.

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Dear Paul,

I'm using CE6 R3. I did find CERDISP and CERHOST, but cannot get it up and running till now. After I start CERDISP (s CERDISP -c), the target becomes visible in CEROST, but it does not connect.

If I click the devicename in CERHOST, it shows an IP address that is not in range with what I expected. My target is connected through an RNDIS connection, that is also used for the debugging trafic.

Do I need any special precautions setting up TCPIP at the target side?

regards,

Maarten

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

You may get some useful info at http://nicolasbesson.blogspot.com/2007/12/enable-remote-display-application.html

As mentioned, from CERHOST, try 'File -> Connect' to connect the device.

Regards,

Mansukh

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Hi, Mansukh,

I did find that article, and it seems to be very easy to setup a connection, but in my case it does not work.

Can it be the problem that you cannot have the kernel debugger and remote display active over the same network adapter? (in this case rndis)

regards, Maarten

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:04 PM
  • I'd do the usual things:

1. Verify that you can ping the device at the address that you think it has from the PC you're trying to use.

2. Verify that you are not running some sort of firewall that would be blocking the port that the programs are using.

3. If you're trying to use a device name to connect, make sure that you've set the device name to something other than the default, "Windows CE". When that's the name, the network code doesn't even try to register the name on the network; you have to make it something unique.

Paul T.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hi Maarten,

I used CerDisp long back and what I remember is I was able to use both Kernel Debugger and Remote Display App simulteneously over Ethernet connection.

My set up was like this: 2 PCs on my desk one for running CerHost and the other for platform builder/ VS 2005 and my device was located on a remote desk. All were connected through ethernet.

Regards,

Mansukh 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:14 AM
  • Dear Mansukh,

I think I solved the problem. Because RNDIS over USB creates an other network adapter, this adapter is not able to reach your router automatically. By bridging the normal network adapter AND the RNDIS adapter, the wince platform is able to get an IP address, and so route the packets to CERHOST.

it works fine now!

Thanks!

Maarten

Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:42 PM