none
Bing Maps REST Services - Find a Location by Query RRS feed

• Question

• I created a URL to geocode the address string “Rua Angelina Vidal, Portugal”, but the API Locations does´t give me a good result. All results are UpHierarchy. I searched same string in bing maps and it gave me a right location.

I think that same time ago it was working, but isn´t working now. Samething changed in API?

My URL to test is: https://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?query=Rua%20Angelina%20Vidal,portugal&key=bingkey&c=pt&o=xml

Why my query doesn't gave me a right location?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:05 PM

Answers

• The Bing Maps website is testing out a new geocoder on the backend. The Bing Maps REST services is not yet using this geocoder. The backend of the REST services will be updated to use this new geocoder once all quality control tests are completed.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:15 PM
  • This happened a few months ago. It is a backend change on the services, so no need to modify your code to access the update as you will now be using it.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:38 AM
  • The issue is your query is not for an address, but a point of interest which the geocoder is not designed for. IF you just geocode the postal code, you get the exact same coordinate as the Bing Maps website. The Bing Maps website mixes a couple of different services together; geocoding, and business point of interest search. The developers API's currently do not expose a business point of interest search API.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:59 PM

All replies

• The Bing Maps website is testing out a new geocoder on the backend. The Bing Maps REST services is not yet using this geocoder. The backend of the REST services will be updated to use this new geocoder once all quality control tests are completed.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Bing Maps website returns the locality "Vidal, Viana do Castelo, Portugal", which is essentially the same as the one returned by API:

adminDistrict=Viana do Castelo

countryRegion=Portugal

locality=Vidal

We will treat this as a data issue and investigate it.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Can I get an update on the release date for the REST service and the new geocoder. 

Thanks

Jeff Dumont 

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:23 PM
  • This happened a few months ago. It is a backend change on the services, so no need to modify your code to access the update as you will now be using it.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:38 AM
  • Can I get an update on the release of the new geocoder 

Thanks

Jeffd 

Friday, December 1, 2017 12:12 AM
  • What do you need to know. The release went out several months ago. Additionally we increased the geocoding coverage in many countries which is listed in the documentation. A blog post will likely go out in a couple of weeks to highlight these updates that happened over the past year.

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi Ricky

I'm still occasionally facing the same issue for addresses in the United Kingdom (and other countries): the Bing Maps Consumer site points to the correct location, but the API gives less accurate results.

For example:

Input address: Sinderby Station, Sinderby, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, YO7 4LB
    Geo-coordinates returned by Bing Maps Website (CORRECT): 54,225842, -1,488185

API Call: http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?query=Sinderby+Station%2C+Sinderby%2C+Thirsk%2C+North+Yorkshire%2C+YO7+4LB&maxResults=1&key=<key>&o=xml

Geo-coordinates returned by API: 54.23152161, -1.47318995

Any idea what the issue could be?

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:39 PM
  • The issue is your query is not for an address, but a point of interest which the geocoder is not designed for. IF you just geocode the postal code, you get the exact same coordinate as the Bing Maps website. The Bing Maps website mixes a couple of different services together; geocoding, and business point of interest search. The developers API's currently do not expose a business point of interest search API.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:59 PM
  • ok, here's another non-POI example:

Input Address: 7 Avenue Daniel Rops, Alpes du Nord, 73100 Aix Les Bains France

Geo-coordinates returned by Bing Maps Website (CORRECT): 45.69379, 5.89667

API Call: http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?query=7+Avenue+Daniel+Rops%2C+Alpes+du+Nord%2C+73100+Aix+Les+Bains+France&maxResults=1&key=<KEY>&o=xml

Geo-coordinates returned by API (INCORRECT): 45.833610534668, 6.86499977111816

NOTE:

1) The API indeed returns the correct result if I pass the culture parameter (&c=fr), but I don't necessarily know what the culture parameter should be (in this specific case yes, since I know I am looking for an address in France, but generally my application would not know the country and depend entirely on the users address input)

2) If I modify the address to remove "Alpes du Nord", the correct address is returned by the API (even without the culture parameter):

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?query=7+Avenue+Daniel+Rops%2C+73100+Aix+Les+Bains+France&maxResults=1&key=<key>&o=xml

Same situation also with this address: 103 Route des Alpes, Cote d'Azur, Monaco, 06800 Cagnes Sur Mer France

• Edited by orno Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:36 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:35 PM
  • If a culture is not passed in, the en-US culture is used as default. The Bing Maps V8 web control, which is used in the Bing Maps website, automatically detects the browser settings and determines the culture code of the user. This uses a combination of client side and server side code to determine this.

Also note, it looks like you are escaping your queries, it is recommended to encode them (+ => $20), otherwise you will run into certain addresses that have characters that issues. For example "4th & main". 

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:27 AM