none
Latest trends on importing "Mainframe" data into ADLS

General discussion

• I'm still very much in the research and requirements gathering phase but I'm curious what are the latest trends (both tools & techniques) for importing various data sets from Mainframes?  

If everyone is still just using flat file movement into ADLS how are do you deal with Fixed Format?  I'm curious to both the went well and what did not got well.

Thank in advance
    Sean

• Changed type Sean Hawkes (ADM) Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:03 PM Didn't see this was an option
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:26 PM

All replies

• You say you are in the requirements gathering phase and you want to select a tool first to satisfy those requirements but you have not completed the requirements definition, right?

I don't know what the current trends are but the ole way of doing things is to first determine requirements then select a tool to satisfy those requirements. If the current trend is to choose the tool(s) first then young people should learn from the past.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:55 PM
  • I don't believe I said I wanted to suggest a tool first.  My apologies if it seemed that I implied that, it was not my intent.  My intention was to see what other folks were doing with regards to moving data out of Mainframes and into Azure Data Lake Store, especially with regards to techniques and tools.  What has worked for folks and what hasn't.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:05 PM
  • First determine what needs to be done. It is easier for others to suggest a specific tool (or specific tools) than to generalize.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:00 PM