Installed .NET 1.1 Framework and MSDE stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded the .NET 1.0 to 1.1 today and now when I launch the Web Data Administrator for MSDE it hangs up as soon as I hit the login button.

I reinstalled MSDE and the Web Data Administrator and that didn't correct the problem.

Help!

Friday, December 23, 2005 11:51 PM

Answers

• Try this:

Cause

This problem occurs if the following registry subkey is missing:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI
    This issue may also occur if this registry subkey does not have valid registry entries. If this registry subkey is missing, you cannot use the ODBC tool in Control Panel to add or to create a new data source.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, copy the missing registry subkey from a computer that does not experience this problem.

Important When you copy a registry subkey from one computer to a computer that is experiencing this issue, you must verify that the system folder is the same on both computers. For example, the system folder must be C:\Windows on the source computer and on the destination computer. If the system folder is different on these computers, Setup will continue to fail.

If the issue is not resolved after you copy the registry subkey, you can reinstall the MDAC drivers on the affected computer. To do this, follow these steps.

Important To perform this procedure, you must have the Windows XP installation CD. Or, you must have access to the Windows XP source files. 1. Configure Windows to show the hidden files: a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    c. Click the View tab, and then click to select the check box that is next to Show hidden files and folders in the Advanced settings list.
    d. In the Advanced settings list, click to clear the check box that is next to Hide extensions for known file types, and then click OK.

2. Reinstall MDAC.

Note You may not have to perform all the following steps. a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf, and then click OK.
    b. Right-click the Mdac.inf file, and then click Install.
    c. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), insert the Windows XP SP2 CD when you are prompted, and then open the following location:
    Drive name:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    If you are running Windows XP, insert the Windows XP CD when you are prompted, and then open the following location:
    Drive name:\I386
    Note In both paths, Drive name is the name of the CD drive.
    d. When the installation is completed, restart the computer.

Buck Woody

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:48 PM