none
Convert Classic Window Application (Vb.net)

Question

• I have used a Visual Basic Win Form App template to create an app for the English Sport of Cricket. Cricket is a bat and ball sport, same concept as Baseball. I can easily publish the apps (Build>Publish) this creates the following items.

1. Folder called Application Files
    2. HSA T20.application
    3. setup.exe

When I put the above items into a folder and copy and install them to another device running either windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 the apps run and perform fine.

These apps are complex with over 20000 lines of code yes 20000 lines of code, understandably I seriously do not want to rewrite these apps in the form of a visual studio universal windows apps template. Want I need to know is how to convert the above items or a folder containing them to a .appx file and then submit the apps to the Windows App Store.

Regards

Terry Harrison

• Moved by Andy ONeill Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:14 AM not wpf
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:30 AM

Answers

• Short: What you want is not possible.

If your desktop application is a WinForms app then you will have to recreate everything from scratch.  It's a little bit more easy when your desktop application is made in WPF with some MVVM behind.  But even then you will have to rewrite many many many parts.

But don't forget: A UWP app can't make use auf Win32 API library calls.  And that's the dead end for most applications. Because the "windows 10 app store" indeed only is a "windows 10 *UWP* app store".

Maybe "Project Centennial" could be of help.  But I am not shure if MSFT will ever finish it.  I personally doubt it.  And even when it would be released it simply can't automatically "convert" "everything" because that is technically not possible (how do you want to call a win32 API on a ARM prozessor?)

Workaround: The Windows Store for Business.  You will need a second account for that, and you will have to pay for that.  However with such a business account it is possible to list your desktop application in the Windows store with pictures and description.  But it will not include your application, only a download link to your website.

• Edited by wolfSYS Friday, March 25, 2016 11:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by monaro1961 Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:05 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:27 PM

All replies

• Short: What you want is not possible.

If your desktop application is a WinForms app then you will have to recreate everything from scratch.  It's a little bit more easy when your desktop application is made in WPF with some MVVM behind.  But even then you will have to rewrite many many many parts.

But don't forget: A UWP app can't make use auf Win32 API library calls.  And that's the dead end for most applications. Because the "windows 10 app store" indeed only is a "windows 10 *UWP* app store".

Maybe "Project Centennial" could be of help.  But I am not shure if MSFT will ever finish it.  I personally doubt it.  And even when it would be released it simply can't automatically "convert" "everything" because that is technically not possible (how do you want to call a win32 API on a ARM prozessor?)

Workaround: The Windows Store for Business.  You will need a second account for that, and you will have to pay for that.  However with such a business account it is possible to list your desktop application in the Windows store with pictures and description.  But it will not include your application, only a download link to your website.

• Edited by wolfSYS Friday, March 25, 2016 11:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by monaro1961 Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:05 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:27 PM
  • While I appreciate your skepticism of software that hasn't shipped we are actively working on and you can try the desktop app converter to convert your app to run on UWP. Being a brit I have a vested interested in making all cricket related software available on Windows.  In my session at //build I showed a VB6 app running after conversion. https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B809 for the details. 
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:52 PM