Sharepoint Cell turns black when editing in Datasheet view (SPS 2003) RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Sharepoint 2003 which sits on an old windows 2000 server. The client has windows XP running office 2007. When I chose to  "Edit in Datasheet" I am can edit the contents of a cell. As soon as I move away from that cell, the whole thing turns black (so it looks like the words have been censored, in other  words, I have black text with black background.

The only soutions I can find online are a problem relating to norton toolbar (its not that, we don't have it) and one that says there is a problem between the font on the client and the font on the server. The server cannot recognise the font, therefore presents it as black on black. I've tried changing the theme, but can't fix this problem. The font being used is verdana - this is included in the css file on the sharepoint server. I have also tried to update the verdana font on the server by copying the verdana font off the client. That didn't work

I do not get the problem on a windows 7 client - but uprading everyone to windows 7 is not a solution I can do just yet.

as a workaround - you can go into modify columns, select the column and turn off the option to edit in rich text format. You have to do that columns by column though

Paul @ work
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 7, 2011 11:36 AM SPS 2003 added to Title as that product is not default here. Here people expect SP 2007 products unless stated
    Friday, January 7, 2011 11:23 AM

Answers

• A common difference in this type of case, is the browser version.

See if the browser version was recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8 or the like.  If that was the case, simply have the users run the IE8 client in IE7 compatability mode.  This forces IE8 to render the content the way IE7 would rather than in the more standards based method that IE8 uses.  Since your version of SharePoint was designed to work with IE6, it's a good bet that this might solve your problem.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:23 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:22 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• A common difference in this type of case, is the browser version.

See if the browser version was recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8 or the like.  If that was the case, simply have the users run the IE8 client in IE7 compatability mode.  This forces IE8 to render the content the way IE7 would rather than in the more standards based method that IE8 uses.  Since your version of SharePoint was designed to work with IE6, it's a good bet that this might solve your problem.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:23 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:22 PM
    Answerer
  • We had this problem as well.  We had installed the Access Database Engine (Free) on client machines in order to use the Datasheet View, however, when we switched to use the Access Runtime (also free), this problem was solved.

The Access Runtime can be downloaded here:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dlx/default.aspx?id=10910

There are also three service packs that have been created for it and the Office Connectivity components.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:15 PM