What is the benefits of medals of MSDN forums users? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Everyone who is new to MSDN forums is interested in "User Medals".

Do these medals cause any award?
    Does Microsoft value these medals? if does, how?
    And etc.

Please complete this discussion for new users as a guide.

Best Regards, Yasser Zamani
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• Please find the required information in the FAQ page below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#310
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:21 AM
  • To some degree, the points are to make (some) regular posters feel better. It gives them a sense of achievement, and no doubt "counts" towards their next MVP award. It sadly also discourages some negative behaviour (like marking posts as "the answer" simply to boost the point total).

The idea was to provide some sort of reputation around an answer. If person X answers your question and has a dozen medals, you might wish to regard that asnwer more seriously than one from someone that has Zero. Personally, I regard a good answer as a good answer, not matter who posts it, but milleage does vary.

HTH!
    Thomas Lee - doctordns@gmail.com
    • Edited by Thomas Lee Monday, November 23, 2009 8:14 PM minor typo
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:25 PM
  • If you are talking about those things below our names in the messages here, then no one should expect anything from them. I got a backpack that is not fancy and not worth much, but no one should expect anything. I don't want to diminish the value in the sense that it is recognition of a lot of my time, but I am just saying that if someone invests their time expecting to get something they can show off, it is not worht the time for that.

The MSDN forums are different from newsgroups and most other forums in that people are very likely to mark replies as answers when they are relevant to the question and helpful. So it feels good to help. I sometimes learn things when I answer questions by doing some learning in order to find an answer.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:41 PM
  • If you are talking about those things below our names in the messages here, then no one should expect anything from them. I got a backpack that is not fancy and not worth much, but no one should expect anything. I don't want to diminish the value in the sense that it is recognition of a lot of my time, but I am just saying that if someone invests their time expecting to get something they can show off, it is not worht the time for that.

The MSDN forums are different from newsgroups and most other forums in that people are very likely to mark replies as answers when they are relevant to the question and helpful. So it feels good to help. I sometimes learn things when I answer questions by doing some learning in order to find an answer.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info

It depends on who you are. I find a lot of users simply don't bother to mark the replies. And we see some moderators mark everything they write as THE answer. I belive the medals and points  to be less than helpful at times and certainly is a system open to abuse.

As to your point about forums being 'different' - well I'm unconvinced. In general, less than 10% of people ever bother to follow up after they get an answer, whether here or in newsgroups. At least in Newsgroups, you can mail the poster directly (well sometimes) and I've had a fair number of replies from newsgroups (and I think only one from forums - and that was just a further question).

Mileage varies, but I'd not be sad to see the whole medal/points thing go away. Mileage varies of course.

Thomas Lee - doctordns@gmail.com
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:08 AM