none
Exchange Web Services API extended property Question RRS feed

• Question

• 1. If I add an extended property to an emailmessage and that email message comes back as undeliverable, is the extended property contained in the undeliverable message?

2. I know on exchange 2013 you can use the Conversationid property to track an email trail, is there a way to do this with exchange 2010? I'd like to be able to send a message, add some property to a database, and then have a task that runs an executable and monitors a mailbox and if it finds an undeliverable, use that property to find the original message info in the database and update it to reflect that the message wasn't delivered. 

The Innanets are broken.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:45 PM

Answers

• 1. If you where sending the message externally generally you would loose any Extended properties when the Message is categorized and converted between TNEF and MIME. So by the time the NDR is generated your extended property would be gone (unless you allow TNEF to the domain your sending to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310786(v=exchg.150).aspx) . You also wouldn't be able to access the Extended property in any case with EWS from the NDR.

2. Yes the ConversationId should work from 2010 onwards, one other thing you can do if you are sending the Message via EWS is set the InternetMessageId when you sent it. You can then get that property easily from the NDR or anything else (eg the In-Reply-To and References headers)

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, August 1, 2014 6:04 AM