Need to uninstall Windows 8 app in order to see language changes

Question

• Hi,

Our Windows 8 app support multiple languages. We bundle all the resources in a single package.

The issue that we are seeing when testing the app is that the user would need to reinstall the app in order to see the language change in the app if we add the language in windows after the app is installed.

Repro steps:

1. Install the app

2. Go to settings > Region Language > Add new language (for e.g. Russian).

3. Set the new language as the primary language

4. Logout and log back in

5.  Launch the app (the app will still be in English)

If you reverse the step 2 and 1 (install the app after you add the new language), you will see the language change in the app.

It seems to us that, if you install the app, the store will first determine what are the installed languages in the local machine and only copy only resource strings for the currently supported languages.

I would like to confirm whether this is expected behavior.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you find this only with your app? Do other apps on the system switch as you'd expect?

Windows 8 will install all of the languages in your package together. You can confirm this by examining the installed app.

Windows 8.1 allows separating languages into separate resource bundles so that only the relevant ones are installed. If the user adds a language to the system then the app's bundle for that language will be installed next time the app updates.

--Rob

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:14 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you Rob.

No, this is not limited to my app, other apps remains in ENU only.

So this is by-design experience for app installed in Windows 8.1.

Thanks,

A

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:26 AM
  • You shouldn't need to reinstall apps to change languages. I'd check with the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com to see if they can help diagnose your system.

--Rob

Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:43 AM
    Owner