none
Disaster Recovery Plan RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I am asked to provide the plan for Disaster Recovery - SQL Server 2005 used.

Does anyone could advice me for implementing Disaster Recovery from the begining.

Thanks in advance for providing me the input.

Regards,

Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:16 PM

Answers

• Within a Site create a strong backup and recovery plan for user and system databases - system databases include Master, and MSDB.

If you are trying to restore to the point of failure, then ensure your database recovery model is set to full

Create Full and Transaction Log backups on mission critical databases

If you are concerned about protecting a database if the site goes down, then implement database mirroing on desired databases, and mirror those databases to a DR site.

This is a high level, let me know if you  require step-by-steps on any of these elements.

Thanks

Ross Mistry

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:48 PM
  • As Ross pointed you need to have proper backup strategy within a site and I would recommend you to take tape backup as well. If the site goes down you can implement one of the high availability solutions like Log shipping or Database mirroring in Sql Server 2005. Both these solutions are per database level, you need to configure those for each and every individual databases. System databases are an exception while configuring Log shipping or mirroring.

- Deepak
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:25 AM

All replies

• Within a Site create a strong backup and recovery plan for user and system databases - system databases include Master, and MSDB.

If you are trying to restore to the point of failure, then ensure your database recovery model is set to full

Create Full and Transaction Log backups on mission critical databases

If you are concerned about protecting a database if the site goes down, then implement database mirroing on desired databases, and mirror those databases to a DR site.

This is a high level, let me know if you  require step-by-steps on any of these elements.

Thanks

Ross Mistry

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:48 PM
  • As Ross pointed you need to have proper backup strategy within a site and I would recommend you to take tape backup as well. If the site goes down you can implement one of the high availability solutions like Log shipping or Database mirroring in Sql Server 2005. Both these solutions are per database level, you need to configure those for each and every individual databases. System databases are an exception while configuring Log shipping or mirroring.

- Deepak
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:25 AM
  • I normally tell people to always refer to their RPO/RTO (recovery point objective and recovery time objective) A disaster recovery plan should consist of people, process and technologies (not just technology).  Its quite difficult to come up with a DR plan without an RPO/RTO

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:26 AM