none
Kinect Fusion Explore Multi Static Cameras RRS feed

• Question

• hi,how to calculate the distance in Kinect Fusion Explore Multi Static Cameras-WPF  using the rotation matrix and translation vector from calibrating a stereo system. 

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:04 AM

Answers

• Not sure what the exact ask is here. The 3D volumes that are created in Kinect Fusion are normalized. If you are trying to do measurements, you would take those values from the depth frames that are passed to fusion as part of the pipeline. The MultiStatic camera sample requires that the setup be calibrated where the 2 camera are already looking at one common point. The camera's are static so the measurements would already be known beforehand. 

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:10 PM

All replies

• Not sure what the exact ask is here. The 3D volumes that are created in Kinect Fusion are normalized. If you are trying to do measurements, you would take those values from the depth frames that are passed to fusion as part of the pipeline. The MultiStatic camera sample requires that the setup be calibrated where the 2 camera are already looking at one common point. The camera's are static so the measurements would already be known beforehand. 

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:10 PM
  • I'm new and I have no idea how to calibrate 3 kinects before using the SDK(Kinect Fusion Explore Multi Static Cameras  ),can you tell me the specific procedures or send me links? Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:34 AM
  • You need to know the extrinsic camera calibration between the IR cameras of the multiple Kinects. You can get this matrix from imaging a checkerboard pattern with the IR sample in the sdk and then analysing the images using something like http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/calib_doc/ or an openCV equivalent. 

If you do this you need to cover the Kinect's IR projector otherwise the speckle pattern will be too noisy to image the checkerboard. You then need to illuminate the room with another IR source like a incandescent light bulb. 

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Thank you very much.Now I am able to calibrate three kinects and can obtain the related parameters.

Here, can I ask you one more question?what's the meaning of rot x, rot y , rot z and distance in the demo?If I want to use two kinects  to reconstruct 3D object in the kinect fusion explore multi-static cameras sample, and they are set parallel (along a line). In this way, the rot x, rot y and rot z is zero respectively, the distance is the distance between two cameras, am I right? 

• Edited by HUST_twj Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:26 AM