none
Web Test availability reponse RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to azure and have relatively recently migrated some old Global Service Monitoring Webtests (approx. 30 different websites ) into an App Insights workspace. 

from the looks of the results the web tests have transferred over OK generating an app insights application and embedding all the web tests within

these are alerting when not responding (through a scom connection to the workspace) and when navigating to each individual test within the portal there appears to be a wealth of information available from the end to end transaction details including page response time (essential to my requirements)

what I am interested in knowing is how I can either visualise or report against the test duration of each individual test ?

at present when I navigate to the workspace and navigate through the various 'investigate' actions like search, metrics , availability etc I am only able to visualise an overall view of my collective app insights application which I assume it is generating an average across all tests from all websites 

I have been through various KQL basics to understand how I could query for this info but I cannot find the tables where this info is held 

if I attempt to graph a metric from the gui the metric namespace provides a value of 'log based metrics' and a metric of 'test duration' but if I switch the resource to an individual website the metric namespace changes to 'availability tests standard metrics' and even though the 'metric' section provides a value of 'response time' there is no collection for this metric. can I turn this on somewhere ?

any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am happy to hare more info if this is a little ambiguous 

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hello, Frilkieg.  Thank you for using Application Insights!

It sounds like you have the basics under control, but I'll post these here for anyone else who may be reading this:

After you have your test set up, you'll want to further analyze it in Analytics using KQL:

• Navigate to your Application Insights resource
    • Click on Availability
    • Select an Availability Test
    • Drill into and select test results (this will take you to End-to-end transaction details)
    • Click on the Analytics icon (this will take you to Analytics)
    • Here you can see the result of the test duration as "duration".  Click on Chart, select Line, and set your X and Y axis from the dropdowns (Operation_Id and Duration are shown below)
    • Modify the query as desired

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 12:34 AM
  • Hi Azure Team,

In one of the post devblogs.microsoft.com/devops/cloud-based-load-testing-service-eol/    it mentioned that .webtest will be deprecated in Visual studio. In that case, how would we create multi step availability test? 

Your response will help us in deciding whether to go with Azure for Active probing or find alternative tool.

Thanks

Monday, July 22, 2019 11:43 AM
  • Hello, Kanagavel!

I know there have been questions surrounding this so I'd like to try and clear up some points of confusion.  First, I'd like to quote an answer given by Morgan Grobin, Application Insights Program Manager working on Azure Monitor Application Insights Availability Testing:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/vsts-docs/issues/3793

"Despite being deprecated, you will be able to create .webtest files using Visual Studio 2019 and below for the entire support lifecycle of those products.

Application Insights will drop support for multi-step web tests authored in Visual Studio at some point in the future. However, we recently invested in an overhaul of our backend service to ensure that we can continue running these tests for the next 2 years. We will make a deprecation announcement 1 year before support will be dropped, and provide migration guidance. We plan to move towards a custom code model, where more complex availability tests will be written in .NET or Javascript."

To recap:

- You will be able to create .webtest files using Visual Studio 2019 (and below) for the entire support lifecycle of those products (this is typically several years).

- We've recently invested in an overhaul of our backend service to ensure that we can continue running these tests for the next 2 years.

- Support for multi-step webtests will eventually be dropped in favor of more complex tests written in .NET or Javascript, however we will make an announcement 1 year in advance and we will provide migration guidance.

Edit:  To clarify that first point, this means that in 2021 while you won't be able to create .webtest files in Visual Studio 2021, you will still be able to create .webtest files in Visual Studio 2019.

Monday, July 22, 2019 9:34 PM