How to troubleshoot messages sent from local compter to Azure IOT Hub using WireShark? RRS feed

• Question

• I am sending messages from my C# application to IOT Hub using below code snippet.

public async Task<MessageToTargetStatus> ForwardMessage(byte[] message)
        {
            var messageToSend = new Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Client.Message(message);            
            await iotHubClient.GetDeviceClient().SendEventAsync(messageToSend).ConfigureAwait(false);
            return MessageToTargetStatus.Success;
        }

Messages are successfully received at the Azure IOT Hub

Now I want to test my security of these messages and trying to verify these messages in WireShark.

I see many records in WireShark, but I am not able to figure out which is my messages sent to IOT Hub.

When I send single message from Device Explorer, I see many communication records in WireShark. Which protocol I should be filtering?

I

Many Thanks Deepak

• Edited by Deepak RA0 Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hello Deepak,

>>>Now I want to test my security of these messages and trying to verify these messages in WireShark.

What and how do you going to do?

You send a message to device from device explorer, but actually there is not only one message has been sent. There is a session established between the device and the server. There are other functional packets like start a connection, open a session, send data, end a session, close the connection etc. Fore information about AMQP you can reference related protocol standards.

So all of these communication records are started by and related to the message you send.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Deepak RA0 Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:41 AM