Are the GPU hardware codec functions always automaticaly available through the topology loader ? RRS feed

• Question

•  Are the GPU hardware codecs and codec-related  functions always available as hardware MFTs, Direct3D-Aware  and able to be loaded by the topology loader automaticaly ?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:30 PM

Answers

• lorin_f:  maybe your question should split into several small questions.  for examples:

1) Are GPU hardware codecs and related functions always available as hardware MFTs ?

as I know,  the answer is no,  ie,  ATI's h264 codec design is different with NVIDIA's h264 codec design,  so MFT should specifically treat  diffrent GPU in diffrent model, no unified  solution.    

2) do GPUs provide unified Direct3D?

if this is what you care,  yes,  if certain GPU claimed to support D3D10,  you can use D3D10 interface.

MFT scarcely use D3D interface internally,  only if you got D3D surface from EVR, and then draw some text or bitmap there.

3) .......  

if your hardware codecs refer to DXVA,  yes,  it certain GPU claimed to support DXVAHD,  you can always use DXVAHD in your MFT.

4) can MFTs be auto loaded by topology?

I'm on studying MF , and cannot say exactly yes or no.  I guess it's yes,    if you ask the topology to render the media source.

Are these questions exactly what you wanted to ask?

-------------------- JohnYe from SHANGHAI. email: yechzh@126.com
    • Marked as answer by lorin_f Friday, April 30, 2010 8:10 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:46 AM

All replies

• lorin_f:  maybe your question should split into several small questions.  for examples:

1) Are GPU hardware codecs and related functions always available as hardware MFTs ?

as I know,  the answer is no,  ie,  ATI's h264 codec design is different with NVIDIA's h264 codec design,  so MFT should specifically treat  diffrent GPU in diffrent model, no unified  solution.    

2) do GPUs provide unified Direct3D?

if this is what you care,  yes,  if certain GPU claimed to support D3D10,  you can use D3D10 interface.

MFT scarcely use D3D interface internally,  only if you got D3D surface from EVR, and then draw some text or bitmap there.

3) .......  

if your hardware codecs refer to DXVA,  yes,  it certain GPU claimed to support DXVAHD,  you can always use DXVAHD in your MFT.

4) can MFTs be auto loaded by topology?

I'm on studying MF , and cannot say exactly yes or no.  I guess it's yes,    if you ask the topology to render the media source.

Are these questions exactly what you wanted to ask?

-------------------- JohnYe from SHANGHAI. email: yechzh@126.com
    • Marked as answer by lorin_f Friday, April 30, 2010 8:10 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:46 AM
  •  Thank you, JohnYe, and have much success with your studies ! 
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Friday, June 18, 2010 8:35 AM